Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
I'm going to Europe this summer, and I'm really debating if I should take my laptop or not.

My biggest concern is how I'm going to backup my photos. Is taking an external hard drive and using public cafes with computers a good option? Maybe taking two hard drives just for further reassuring?

As for any other occasional use I might give my laptop, like checking mail or directions, I'm taking my iPod Touch.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
There are a plethora of portable plug-and-transfer options that are specific to the application you propose.

What type of media are you using? If your trip is less than a month, you shouldn't need to back up. Just take lots and lots of cards, exchanging at least every four or five days. Memory cards are incredibly stable, small, and easy to use.

Look, the best option is to take your laptop. This allows you to edit while you're on the trip to. But realistically, I think taking lots of cards is more realistic--a harkening to the old days of film, perhaps.

Stevo B

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
I second just taking lots of cards. When I went to Uganda in December, I didn't have space for laptop and don't trust stand alone storage backups. I just bought a bunch of 8gb cards and made sure to keep them changed out every few days.

However, last spring I went to the UK for a couple of weeks and made good use of my Macbook Pro in backing up and even blogging my photos and travels. Even offloading them to the laptop, I used multiple cards and never deleted any photos until I was back at home and had multiple backups.

I think it boils down to whether or not you want to tote the comp around. I wouldn't count on using public computers for anything. More memory cards is much more stable than hard drives bouncing around in a bag.

http://www.photosteven.com

nuwomb

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Taking a Laptop would come down to if you're going to be doing any photo editing as well. I would imagine you'll want to do some atleast. But who knows.

I think taking a laptop would be a good idea if going for a summer but it comes down to what you'll be doing while there.

If it were me, I'd want the laptop. How many photographs will you be taking? I would assume you could store them all on laptop until you're home.

If not, an external drive might be smart or look at http://www.dropbox.com - you could share the folder with someone at home and they could copy the images to the home computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.