Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
So, I'm pretty sure which lenses I'm going to get, but with what sounds like a a "D90" around the corner, I worry that this is a bad time to buy the D80, and am actually leaning towards buying a used D200, which goes for roughly the same price as a new D80 on ebay.

Good idea? Bad idea? I know that a D200 is a few steps beyond the D80 in terms of photographic skill required.... however, if they're the same price, why not?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
So, I'm pretty sure which lenses I'm going to get, but with what sounds like a a "D90" around the corner, I worry that this is a bad time to buy the D80, and am actually leaning towards buying a used D200, which goes for roughly the same price as a new D80 on ebay.

Good idea? Bad idea? I know that a D200 is a few steps beyond the D80 in terms of photographic skill required.... however, if they're the same price, why not?

The D80 won't suddenly stop taking pictures if a D90 comes out. You can't take pictures with a camera you don't have. The shots on the Internet when the D200 came out looked so bad I almost didn't get one- turns out the camera was fine, but lots of people had trouble getting good, sharp shots with the camera. It's very picky about technique and lenses, though I'm not sure the D80 is all that much more forgiving.

Only you can answer if you have the skill required to make "why not?" work or not work- only you know what lenses you're looking at. Personally, if I were going to get a "throw-away" camera at this point, it'd be a plain D40 with a kit lens- given the low price if you're new to dSLRs it'd get you at least six months of shots to learn what you do and don't want next, and to hone your skills.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
I'd like to chime in and comment on your "post" about eBay and tell you to be careful with that, there are very very few true legit if any true legit Nikon retailers that go through eBay and offer the full USA warranty. Save yourself the trouble and go through an authorized retailer, also I don't think now is a bad time to buy the D80 at all. I've had mine from the first week it came out, and even though I really do want a D300 right now, the D80 isn't preventing me from taking amazing pictures, also don't hold your breath on the rumors of the D90 coming out any time soon.

One more thing, if the price looks too good to be true it is, if the price is cheaper on the D80 at a store than most places sell D40's for, it's too good to be true.

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
I guess I haven't been keeping up with Nikon rumors. What are they saying about this potential 'D90' model? Are the rumors believable? I find it odd that a replacement would come so soon.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I don't think Nikon will release anything for awhile... they've been busy with the D3/00 and probably won't have another thing ready until... late Spring? All speculation.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
I agree with others posting already. The D80 is a great camera - buy it and enjoy it. Nikon are just as secretive as Apple - but there is no Macrumors equivalent for Nikon gear. If a D90 does come out, then no-one knows for sure until Nikon announce it - it could come out soon, or it could be ages away.
Buy some decent lenses (a great investment of your money as they make a big difference with any camera), and you will still have those to use should you wish to go for the D200 or D90 when it comes out.
When a D90 does come out, I'm sure it will be a tweaking of everything (eg D200-D300) rather than the huge leaps the previous generations took (eg D1x-D2X, D100-200 etc).

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Chiming in here to say that I agree with what has been mentioned above: DO NOT BUY FROM eBAY!! Buy from a reputable camera dealer, an authorized Nikon reseller. B&H is one of the best-known online. Better yet, check out your local brick-and-mortar shop, see what kind of deal they can offer you.

As for the D80 vs D90 -- no idea of when we might see another new camera from Nikon, but my guess is that it won't be for a while because right now they're still running their factories full-time to crank out D3 and D300 bodies to meet the demand for those.

A gently-used D200 wouldn't be a bad idea, actually, IF you can find one which is at the same price point as a new D80. Problem is that with a used camera you won't have the 5-year warranty and all of that. The D200 is a lot of camera, too, for a novice just coming from the P&S world, and might really be too overwhelming. The D80 does much of what the D200 does; one main difference is that the D80 is more menu-driven, whereas the D200 has more buttons and controls on the body itself, and of course the D200 is a bit larger, heavier and sturdier.

Which lenses have you decided on?

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Actually, just picked them up today.

I haggled the guy (at the store) something fierce. I understand if he was a bit tired with me by the end, but that's just the way it goes. You should have seen his face when I walked in.

"Hi - I need a D80 kit [comes with 18-135mm], a 70-200mm f/2.8G, a 50mm f/1.4D [which they didn't have in stock], and an SB-600 flash." He looked at me like, "Umm... whoa." I also got a case, an extended warrantee, and a DVD for it for another 99. I haggled the guy down about $150, which almost covered the tax. The price on the camera was pretty decent actually (1079), the 70-200mm not so much, (1679, but can't find it anywhere online), and the flash was alright (199). I booked it to Costco for a 4Gb memory card (50). The store is very reputable, and all the stuff is from the USA, so that's good.

I'm excited and intimidated at the same time. I'm charging the battery as we speak, and as soon as I'm done, I'm going to throw on the 18-135, load up that DVD, and see what I can learn.

I still have 10 days to return it though. Do you think I did alright?

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Would have skipped the 18-135 and gone for the 18-200mm VR lens (and maybe skipped the 70-200, too, but the 2.8 constant aperture might be worth the extra $$)

Not terrible, but I would have gone with B&H photo and saved some serious $$

I just bought a D80 too and overpaid because I had store credit at a local store, but I regret paying so much. Hopefully you won't. Enjoy an awesome camera! Picture quality wise, its right on par with the d200 and you got a sweet lens.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Congratulations, Shacklebolt! :)

You will LOVE that 70-200mm VR; yes, it is an expensive lens but definitely worth the expense! I haven't had any experience with the 18-135mm so won't offer much commentary there. I hope that they get a 50mm f/1.4 in for you soon. Good choices!

Fiasco

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
New York, NY, USA
You know, you don't always have to have the very latest gizmo out there... It's not like the D80 isn't a perfectly fine camera being used by professionals daily around the world.

If you can get a good deal on it, I say jump on it. Be wary of ebay... I honestly prefer craigslist to ebay as I have a chance to evaluate what I'm buying before I pay for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.