Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eswank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
NorCal
Hey guys. I currently own a D80 that has the vertcal grip on it with an 18-55 lens attached. That's the only lens I have so far but I am looking to purchasing more in the near future. I also have a Canon Elura 65 on me. I need a bag that will carry both of these devices and their accessories (i.e. chargers, cables tapes, batteries). Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
Hey guys. I currently own a D80 that has the vertcal grip on it with an 18-55 lens attached. That's the only lens I have so far but I am looking to purchasing more in the near future. I also have a Canon Elura 65 on me. I need a bag that will carry both of these devices and their accessories (i.e. chargers, cables tapes, batteries). Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

I've got a crumpler daily 600 and it's an excellent bag. Takes my Canon 400d, Sony video camera, 3 lenses, batteries, chargers for both cameras, all my cables plus my 15" MacBook Pro and megasafe adaptor with room to spare

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC

Do you have a decent camera store around? I would go in, with your equipment, and play around with a few.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Do you actually need to carry all this gear around with you are do you really mean you need bag to contain and transport all of this gear. There is a difference between what you walk around with and what you store and transport your gear in. If you only have the DSLR and one lens you transport/store bag and walk around bag can be the same ut as you buy more and more gear it become imposable to carry it all with you all the time.

I have a couple smaller bags that each have very minimal padding and bulk made by Domke. They are made of black cotton canvas. I also have some plastic Pelican cases. I use both. I'll but all the gear AND the bag in the Pelican case then when I get some place I put just what I need in the bag. Many people have more gear than they want to carry and it sounds like you are almost there. Once you get there, no one bag solution can work.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I've got a crumpler daily 600 and it's an excellent bag. Takes my Canon 400d, Sony video camera, 3 lenses, batteries, chargers for both cameras, all my cables plus my 15" MacBook Pro and megasafe adaptor with room to spare

But do you ever actually use this bag? What I mean is, let's take a typical photographic situation. You know someone who has a dog and you want some pictures of the owner playing with the dog. Do you take the video camera, three lensesa 400d, a computer and assorted chargers down to the park? Most likely not. Most likey you's jut take a wide angle zoom and maybe a flash for fill-in if the sun is bright and leave the big bag at the house or in the car No one runs around chasing a dog (or kids) with their chargers, spare batteries and computer.

I figure if you are going to leave the big bag in the car, house, or hotel room and I'm not going to carry it around I can use a crush, dust and water proof case.

If you are traveling the cases really are better. I've put my case put in a stake bed truck under a "b-zillion" other cases and rather roughly unloaded. As bags get bigger you will find you can't (not allowed to) hand carry them and unless you can argue well in Japanese (or spanish or whatever) you just have to go along with the rules. But even at home and in my own van, I really do not want to have to care that my camera gear is loaded on top of the stack of luggage and sports equipment. If the camera is in a Pelican case the scuba tank is ok to go on top of the photo stuff. I don't have to worry. Once I'm where I want to be I use a small bag that holds just the 1 to 3 items I'll need. The rest of the gear stays in the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.