Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyrusmekon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2005
Had the opportunity to shoot a live band this weekend.

Linky www.kinematic.info/

Some pics that i hope you will enjoy. Had lots of fun on this shoot. :thumbsup:

CC welcomed as always! Much more on my Flickr if interested!

357qa8l.jpg

2u3ustt.jpg

91fc3p.jpg

2vl8ye1.jpg

bfp6bc.jpg

2ntdcae.jpg

96zzm0.jpg

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
I love 2 and 7. 6 disturbs me. If he werent holding the intrument it would leave a lot to the imagination as to what is going on below frame. Overall, good job.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Nice

I like the color in 2 and 6, but 2 looks a bit unfocused and dark. If 6 would have been a bit more pulled back, to get the guitar in frame, it would have been an excellent capture. I would like 7 ten times more if you didn't isolate the color, I think that is the most tacky effect possible. Keep it b/w andup the contrast and its a winner, imo.

Number 1 is my favorite, some framing issues aside. I like the "mic coming out of nowhere" feel alot.

Nice shots overall!

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I would like 7 ten times more if you didn't isolate the color, I think that is the most tacky effect possible. Keep it b/w andup the contrast and its a winner, imo.

I 100% agree (and to the OP, great shots overall).

On a side note, however, I've found that while photographers generally dislike selective colour (see comments above re: #7), non-photographers generally love it. I did this with a wedding photo once (with a flower in the bride's hair) and the shot got a hugely positive response from non-photographers. Same thing with HDR, I find; hated by many photographers, loved by non-photographers.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread. I agree #7 would be better in all B&W.

cyrusmekon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2005
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Due to public pressure here is the B & W shot ;)

10gbce9.jpg

Im not sure myself about the colour isolation. Sometimes i like it, sometimes i dont.

Mattsepeta: Yeah agreed the shot does need the guitar to be in full frame but i was running around with the 70-200mm at the time, or was it the 85 cant remember.

SLC: What can i say, everything you read about the lens is true. Its a pleasure to work with, I wouldnt trade it / sell it for anything. Though it took me more time to save, it was worth it in my opinion.

Edge: Hmmm HDR, few of my friends shoot HDR and i cant bring myself to do it. It just doesnt appeal to me, but in saying that colour isolation does (sometimes!!)

Anyway appreciate the feedback, this was my first band shoot and i had a blast and got positive feedback from the guys.

Happy shooting!

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Good to know you like the 85 Cyrus, I'd ultimately like to purchase that one as well (and keep the 1.8 for a backup) but I just dropped a few thousand on a new body (D700) and lenses, ultimately I was trying to decide on the Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 and the 85 f/1.8, or the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and the Nikkor 85 f/1.4. I felt like the 85 f/1.8 was in the same ballpark IQ wise as the 1.4 (or at least it was a very very good lens), but the Tammie 28-75 doesn't even come close to the Nikkor 24-70 in any department (IMO), ultimately I went the all Nikkor route, and I'm getting the Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 along with the other two.

It's good to see that you enjoy the lens though, that will make it easier to save the cash for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.