Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
UT
As I’m looking to replace my aging airport/time-capsule devices I’ve decided to rework my home network in general.

with more IOT devices, people staying at our house, kids, etc. I’ve been thinking it would be great to get a firewall of sorts (pfsense?) one feature I would really like is to see bandwidth usage per device.

does anyone have a great recommendation for one that can handle gigabit throughout ?

for the rest of my network I’ve been thinking of going with ubiquity unifi devices, any thoughts on that?

Sciomar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
As I’m looking to replace my aging airport/time-capsule devices I’ve decided to rework my home network in general.

with more IOT devices, people staying at our house, kids, etc. I’ve been thinking it would be great to get a firewall of sorts (pfsense?) one feature I would really like is to see bandwidth usage per device.

does anyone have a great recommendation for one that can handle gigabit throughout ?

for the rest of my network I’ve been thinking of going with ubiquity unifi devices, any thoughts on that?

If you’re looking for true mesh Wi-Fi, make sure the setup actually performs it. Access points versus nodes with an Ethernet backbone that are capable of operating independently if one part of the chain goes down. I’m considering Plume for handling Wi-Fi, I believe it’s app does something similar to what you’re asking for but I don’t have firsthand experience yet so hopefully someone will chime in.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Look at Asus routers.
Their software is excellent. I've got a mesh with 2 RT-AC86U routers (it's a big place with yard thick walls)
What you can do is so complete it would take a very long time.
But for example, I can check what my daughter is doing and see she has spent 2 hours on Netflix not her homework so I can switch her off.
Or I can restrict bandwidth per device, restrict streaming or social media, restrict by time slots,
switch off a device completely or allow a guest network.
It has anti malware/virus at router level too.
Totally rock solid 24/7 never a problem and faster than the old Airport Extreme.
Mesh works flawlessly: I have 2.4 and 5ghz and it just selects the right one automatically.
Easy to set up just a bit expensive to buy.
One thing to mention, if someone is online before a time slot stops them, it won't, they will keep going but they all seem to have this flaw. (you have to reboot to kick them out)
And a really good tip is anytime you make changes to times, devices etc, always reboot or it won't always remember or apply.
But Asus have a good range of routers so you should be able to find something that fits your needs and they will have exactly the controls you need and more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.