Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MPW99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
side note: bought two XR's in Tokyo no probs

Thinking of ordering the new base model MBP with 128gb (I don't need storage). Would I be mad to get 16gb ram? I like to have a lot of tabs open and feel like it would make a pretty powerful machine once the turbo kicks in...

who knows, maybe I could Dota?

get roastin'

SRGBOR

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2019
yes, it's little bit crazy. better to order 256gb if you don't need to work with special software.
Office, safari , parallels with windows + 2 external Displays and 8gb more than enough.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I really heavily on external storage (NAS), but all the same my minimum is 256GB. I keep files local while working on them, and then move them to external when done. For example - sorting a bunch of photos I'll import them locally, do the grooming and editing etc while they're on the SSD, then push them off when finished.

This way I get the speed benefits SSD while actively working on stuff, but I'm not throwing absurd amounts of money at Apple for larger SSD than I need.

128GB would be too skinny for me.

MacOS runs great on 8GB, so I would certainly go for 256/8 over 128/16. I usually have around 30 tabs open, but it obviously depends what those tabs are doing. Not all web pages are equal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.