Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Basically I am looking to buy a basic digital camera to get into photography, now the features I am looking for are as follows:

-Something that doesn't require a dock every-time I want to sync my photo's or charge, I can't stand how so many digital cameras these days don't allow you to just plug in a USB cable and get your photos...

-Fairly big screen

-Fairly small and durable and good build quality

Hope someone can drop me a good recommendation as I am no pro in this field,

Thanks,

ShadoW:D

jmrnavydoc

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2007
Virginia
Check out the Canon Elph SD line.. screens >2.5", small (fits in a pocket) but sturdy, 3-4x optical zoom, good sensor/optics, USB connection to your computer or can take out the SD card and get a USB media card reader.

Pac a Mac

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2007
England
Check out the Canon Elph SD line.. screens >2.5", small (fits in a pocket) but sturdy, 3-4x optical zoom, good sensor/optics, USB connection to your computer or can take out the SD card and get a USB media card reader.

Shadow, from your flickr pics you've definately got the eye. The pentax optio seems to be doing a reasonable job and your phone camera pics are cool.

There probably in not much in it between the pocket sized cameras, but if I had the cash I would go for a leica

andysc

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2006
Orange County, CA
I'd go with any of the Sony T Series. I bought a Sony T9 when it first came out; very compact (less than 17mm thick), image stabilization (huge improvement for picture quality), great GUI, fantastic LCD screen. Couldn't be happier. also try www.dpreview.com and look around in the forums for comments and reviews. Very knowledgable people there.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
PMA, one of the biggest camera shows starts on the 8th. In anticipation of that, all the manufacturers are starting to announce new cameras. While the current crop of cameras will still work just fine, you may find the newer models compelling. In either case, http://www.dpreview.com does a fair job overall of reviewing cameras, and is probably the best place to go for an overview of what's out there, its basic capabilities and how it performs.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Thanks for the recommendations, I had previously been using my brother's optio Si which I liked although its a bit out dated now the screen is small etc....
I will look into the Sony T series they are pretty nice cameras.
One brand I am considering are the Casio Exilim's as I like the design/battery life and screen sizes they seem to produce at decent prices. anyone with some experience with the exilim series?

ShadoW

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}
I was just about to say look at http://www.dpreview.com I used it a lot when choosing my digital camera. As for a basic digital camera, i have a few recommendations:

Canon:
850IS
900ti
powershot G7 (for something with a bit more last and features if you get into photography more)

Nikon:
Coolpix S10
Coolpix S9
Coolpix P3/P4

Sony:
DSC-W70
DSC-W35E

Fuji:
F31FD

Casio:
Im not so familiar with these cameras, but i have photos from a couple of the Exilim zoom models and they are very good. I think the models were something like EX-Z850, EX-Z700 .

All of the above will please you. But i think the most important thing with a digital camera is how you get on with the functionality. Go into a camera shop and get them to let you play around with all the cameras you want. Just flicking through the menus and things like that will quickly tell you how you will get on with a camera. Also ask lots of questions. You can never ask to many questions.

One quick tip: Its not all about how many mega pixels the camera is, its also to do with the processor and the lens, probably more so in some cases. Ask questions about these, see if the sales man knows his stuff, and it will help you in the long run.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
JDN thanks a bunch great post.....

I defiantly understand what your saying about the megapixel issue, this is not a concern to me as I am happy with anything over about 4MP so in this day and age this isn't an issue.

The reason I am considering a Casio is that there menu system is great, compared to what I have seen with Pentax and Nikon which members of my family own.

I think I am going to do some more research into the casio range and try and pick one up cheap. I may also check out some Canon's as I know they are great cameras as well.....

Thanks a load guys,

ShadoW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.