Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
I have just recently started doing basketball photography and am having trouble figuring out which focusing mode works best (ai focus, ai servo, one shot). I have a canon 50d and am usually using a 70-200 f4l. With the fast pace of the game I'm just wondering if anyone could give some insight to a good way get well focused action shots.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
AI Servo was designed for fast action. One Shot is for mostly stationary subject or maximizing AF accuracy. AI Focus is the unreliable compromise between the two.

use AI Servo and move AF solely to the AF On or * button. this separates focusing from shutter release, so you aren't forced to have the camera focus before you can make an exposure. helps when the action stops temporarily or if something steps in between you and your intended subject.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I think the answer really depends on your style of shooting. I would just recommend practicing with each mode and see what you prefer. I think most sports shooters would prefer al servo since it tracks the subject but I have always preferred to shoot fast action with one shot and time the shot perfect. I have always done it this way and it has always worked.

When I have tried using al servo before it isn't totally accurate so I always go back to one shot which works every time, you just have to know where the action is going to be and be quick.

CPPhoto

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
ive worked with NBA photographers:

300mm 2.8 or F4 (if on strobes) for a farcourt camera (get a pistol grip to help stabilize)

70-200 2.8 or F4 (if on strobes) for near court

AI servo with back button focus

Typically using the individual focus points is the best way to maintain focus

using a 2.8 lens will allow for AF point expansion both horizontally AND vertically, which is key

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.