Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isthisonetaken

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Hey all,

I just started using Aperture 2 and have a few questions.

1) I have a bunch of folders inside projects, and a bunch of pictures inside each folder. I want to batch rename the folders sequentially, so like folder_name 001 and so on. However, I want to keep the pictures inside the folders with their original names. Is this possible?

2) I imported my iPhoto library into Aperture. Do I need it anymore? Since I've added the pictures to Aperture, could simply delete the iPhoto package from my Pictures folder?

Thanks for the help guys and gals!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
1)I want to batch rename the folders sequentially,
2) I imported my iPhoto library into Aperture. Do I need it anymore? ...
Thanks for the help guys and gals!

#1 I think Aperture can generate folder names when you export but I don't know about renaming them in-place.

#2 If you told Aperture to COPY the photos, you can delete the iPhoto library but if you told Aperture to reference the iPhoto library no, you will have to keep it. So you had better be sure you got it right. The safest optiono is to (1) make sure it is backed up then (2) Just re-name the liberay. Use Finder and change the name to ""delete me later" then see if Aperture still can see the photos. If so then delete., then check again. then emmpty the trash. That gives you like four built-in saftey checks

isthisonetaken

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Excellent, that worked for getting rid of my iPhoto library! But for the renaming, when I tried to export, it only exported one picture. I have a folder inside a project. That folder has a bunch (hundreds) of albums inside of it and each album has a bunch of pictures. What I would really love to do, is to have one folder with a name, and then each album inside is Album_name_sequential_number and each picture inside the album would be the album name with its own sequential number... If that makes any sense? Is there a way to do that in Aperture, or even export like that? Or is there a way to export all of those pics easially from Aperture, and then use Automator and Finder to do that, and then re-import them into Aperture?

Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.