Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Is there a way to batch revert all the photos in my Photos library to their original states? I’m guessing it’s a no for mobile devices, but what about Photos on Mac?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Probably a rare use case! Why, if I can ask? I have 10k plus photos.. can’t think of a use case I would need to revert them all.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I want to back them up to Adobe Creative Cloud as unedited originals. If I back them up as-is, any edits will be permanent.

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Can you not go into the finder, locate the location of your photos library, go inside and find the folder named masters - these are the original copies. Sorry I havent really used photos (I moved from Aperture to Adobe years ago).

I assume it is the same file structure underneath. So when you see the masters folder, copy that into Adobe.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
You can export all your photos as unmodified originals using the export command on MacOS Photos. If you have a lot of photos, it's going to take a while, but that's how I'd attempt to do it. Might want to do it in batches, because you may run into errors, and that way you don't have to restart the entire process each time, or try to figure out where it failed and have to go and manage duplicates and the like.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Can you not go into the finder, locate the location of your photos library, go inside and find the folder named masters - these are the original copies. Sorry I havent really used photos (I moved from Aperture to Adobe years ago).

I assume it is the same file structure underneath. So when you see the masters folder, copy that into Adobe.
Yes, you’re right. I’ll need to sync the photos to the desktop app in order to do that. I tried uploading directly from my iPad, which was the problem.

Reactions: kenoh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.