Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
Hi,

I'm struggling to find a set of rechargeable batteries that'll last any reasonable length of time in my Pentax K100D.

I'm using an old Fameart charger, with its stock 2300 mAh batteries. But they dont seem to last for much longer then 30 shots (they're about 3 years old so i guess they're past their best). I replaced them with some 2500mAh 7dayshop batteries, which were even worse.

What should I replace them with? Should I get a new charger + battery combo? Or is the charger itself sound?

Ta

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
My husband has a K100D and consistently gets about 500 shots per charge. He uses a newish high-speed charger (some obscure brand) and 2500mAh batteries from various brands. So I suspect it's your charger that's to blame.

geese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
Thanks for your rely. Do youu know how much he got out of a set of regular Alkaline batteries? I only got about 60 from the set that came with my camera.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thanks for your rely. Do youu know how much he got out of a set of regular Alkaline batteries? I only got about 60 from the set that came with my camera.

He sometimes has to use regular alkalines, but I don't recall there ever being a reduction in longevity with them. Have you tried new alkaline batteries? If those also only get about 60 shots, then you might have gotten a defective camera.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Is the Pentax really that bad? I get well over 1,000 exposures per charge on my D50. But Nikon uses a special 7.5 volt batery. A lot depends on how you use the camera. If you use the built-in flash and keep the LCD screen on and keep the auto focus active by keeping the shutter release half pressed you can drastically reduce battery life. It also takes more batery power to write raw format images to the memory card then to write .jpg files as the card must be powered up longer. You usage style can have a loage effect on battery life. No matter what 60 seems unreasonably low. Are the contacts in the battery compartment clean? Clean them a little with a pencil eraser.

All that said. I good way to test you recharable battery system is to compare performance with non-rechargeable alkaline batteries. Your rechargeable batteries should out perform the alkalines in every way. if not something is wrong with either your rechargeable battery or with your charger.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I use various batteries in mine and get on average 500 shots. Most of my batteries are 2500 mAh but I use a 15 minute Uniross charger. Noisy but worth it, although it takes more that 15 minutes for a full charge.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house

The set of alkalines that came with your camera could have been very old, and they certainly were not some good brand. They were the cheapest thing available. I would not base anything on the performance of those.
Try a set of new good-brand alkalines. Even with using flash and LCD screen regularly you should be able to get more than a hundred shots.
I have no idea how many shots I was able to take with the set of alkalines that came with my K100D. I routinely get over 500 shots with one set of rechargeables.

geese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
Thanks for your replies, I'm a bit worried that I got a defective camera, as this doesnt sound like the performance I've been getting. I've used fresh Alkaline Energizer batteries, I dont think I got anything approaching 100 shots with them. More like 50.

I use the camera in RAW mode, and I guess I play about with the LCD. Sigh, dont want to go through that malarkey of having to get it replaced.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It seems VOLTAGE REGULATED RCR-V3 would not destroy the camera, but SEE BELOW for a rebuttal.

Disclaimer: TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK

encephalon

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
According to the K100D manual you shouldn't use alkalines as your main battery, only for situations where no other type is available. 50-100 shots is about right for alkalines. Buy a good set of AA NiMH rechargables or use nonrechargable AA lithiums or CR-V3s and you will see much improved battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.