Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I just upgraded to the iPhone 8. My previous phone was an SE and I had a Mophie battery case charger which was great. It had a lever in the back in which I could switch when I needed to charge my SE when its battery got low. It was simple. To listen to music, I put an extender on my wired headphones and that worked beautifully.

Now that I have the iPhone 8, there is no extender for the 8 that would allow me to listen to music if I had the Mophie battery charger case for iPhone 8. I don't have a pair of wireless headphones yet. I see that Apple has a smart battery case for the iPhone 8. It is quite different from the Mophie as it charges the iPhone as soon as you put the iPhone in the battery case. My initial reaction is not to like that as I want to control when my iPhone gets juiced and also want the case to last longer if I don't keep using the battery of the case when the iPhone doesn't need it.

Am I missing the benefit of the iPhone Smart Battery?

I do want to a battery case for my new phone. Which should I get? I don't believe there are other battery charger cases for the 8 but I could be wrong.

Which battery case do you prefer and why? What are the benefits that put one ahead of the other?

Thanks so much.

Last edited:

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have the Apple (iPhone 7) Smart Battery case for my iPhone 8, but it's actually hardly been used. I only bought it to use on the occasions where I know I'm going to be away from power for an extended period (long day on the ski hill, full day out at a project site for work), but I'm finding that the battery life of my 8 is so much better than the 6s I had previously that I haven't ended up using it even in the cases I mentioned. It's true that the smart battery case charges the phone all the time using up it's charge first and I wonder if that would ultimately be harder on the battery of both the case and the iPhone in the scenario where you are using it daily. On the plus you should be able to plug lightning headphones or wired headphones using the lightning adapter directly into the lightning port on the smart battery case... ultimately I don't think I helped you much!

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I'm happy you responded! You did help. One thing you said I want to verify — with the Apple Smart Battery Case, I can plug an adapter into the port to listen to music on my wired earphones? Is that correct?

Also, if the 8 is turned off, does the Smart Battery Case still continue to charge the phone until it's empty? I'm wondering how to manage the use of the battery case charger efficiently so I don't find myself running out of cycles on the Smart Battery Case charger.

I'm glad to hear the battery is long-lasting.

Last edited:

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
I'm happy you responded! You did help. One thing you said I want to verify — with the Apple Smart Battery Case, I can plug an adapter into the port to listen to music on my wired earphones? Is that correct?

Also, if the 8 is turned off, does the Smart Battery Case still continue to charge the phone until it's empty? I'm wondering how to manage the use of the battery case charger efficiently so I don't find myself running out of cycles on the Smart Battery Case charger.

The case charges the phone regardless - if it's turned off completely, it will still be charging until the case is dead. That's how Apple designed them.

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
The case charges the phone regardless - if it's turned off completely, it will still be charging until the case is dead. That's how Apple designed them.
So if I remove the case overnight for example, will the case stop charging since it isn’t attached to the iPhone?

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I had to test this as I wasn't sure of the answer, but interestingly the Smart Battery Case doesn't charge the phone if the phone is turned off (which actually surprised me as I thought the opposite would be true).

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I had to test this as I wasn't sure of the answer, but interestingly the Smart Battery Case doesn't charge the phone if the phone is turned off (which actually surprised me as I thought the opposite would be true).
Interesting. Thank you for doing that. Does Apple say how many charge cycles the battery case can do before it needs to be replaced?

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Interesting. Thank you for doing that. Does Apple say how many charge cycles the battery case can do before it needs to be replaced?
My 6s battery case is maybe now two years old and is still holding up well - I'd say it's maybe around 70-80% health. Still does the job without needing to replace it. You don't need to worry about the number of cycles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.