Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foofieman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
It looks like the battery is draining after using Safari, even when plugged in to charge. I tried closing down the Safari app by double pressing home and swiping up but this did not fix it. Forced to power off in order to get the iPad to charge.

Tried a few battery apps and it says the battery is healthy.

Prefer to use Safari but for now using Dolphin until a solution emerges. Any tips?

iPad Pro 9.7, wifi model, fully IOS updated.

foofieman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
You might be visiting sites that run hidden scripts.
What does that mean? Why is this not affecting other browsers like Dolphin? Is there a setting in Safari that can be activated that would resolve the problem?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
What does that mean? Why is this not affecting other browsers like Dolphin? Is there a setting in Safari that can be activated that would resolve the problem?

Not every browser handles web pages in a similar fashion. There's a setting to turn JavaScript off. See if that makes any difference.

foofieman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Update: it appears the problem is slightly different than initially described.

The iPad does not charge when power is on. Screen indicates it is charging with a lightning bolt through the battery icon but it does not. I have to completely power off the device to get it to charge.

In addition, it appears the battery is discharging much faster than normal. By the end of a day it is below 50% with only light usage.

So far I have tried a hard reset and another charging device, no help.

Is it possible to reinstall an iOS update to see if this is software related? Or should I bring the iPad to an Apple store to have them troubleshoot it?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
How are you charging your iPad? If you are connecting it to your computer's USB port, it might not be giving enough juice for the iPad to operate and charge at the same time. Try using the included power adapter. If you are using 3rd party chargers/powerbanks, make sure they are outputting enough juice (eg. 2.1A and up).

As for Safari itself, I had Safari power draining a while back on my 6S. I disabled iCloud syncing and it seemed to solve it.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Update: it appears the problem is slightly different than initially described.

The iPad does not charge when power is on. Screen indicates it is charging with a lightning bolt through the battery icon but it does not. I have to completely power off the device to get it to charge.

In addition, it appears the battery is discharging much faster than normal. By the end of a day it is below 50% with only light usage.

So far I have tried a hard reset and another charging device, no help.

Is it possible to reinstall an iOS update to see if this is software related? Or should I bring the iPad to an Apple store to have them troubleshoot it?

You've already tried restoring, that's essentially reinstalling the OS. Best to take it to Apple.

LES PAUL

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2009
A5D69327-4BB4-4DF7-B117-F6174FEBA7C4.jpeg
Please let me know if you get this resolved. My iPad is doing about the same thing. I’ve tried putting it on airplane mode all day and the battery still drains. This all happened after iOS 11. Here’s a snapshot of my battery status and remember this snapshot is almost twenty four hours of non use after screen was put to sleep and all windows and apps were closed.

LES PAUL

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2009
UPDATE! My iPad's battery was draining from 100% to 20% in under an hour so I did a "restore as new" through iTunes. While reinstalling some of my purchased apps, I noticed that some older apps weren't available for download anymore due to not being updated from the developer. So......my iPad's battery is working perfect now, go figure. Could the battery issues I've been reading about be due to out of date apps?!?! If everything else fails, try it. It worked for me!

mlibrescu

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
California
If the problem was due to an older app, battery settings wouldn’t show Safari as the culprit. It would show the name of the old app. Right?

UPDATE! My iPad's battery was draining from 100% to 20% in under an hour so I did a "restore as new" through iTunes. While reinstalling some of my purchased apps, I noticed that some older apps weren't available for download anymore due to not being updated from the developer. So......my iPad's battery is working perfect now, go figure. Could the battery issues I've been reading about be due to out of date apps?!?! If everything else fails, try it. It worked for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.