Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnsterdam

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Hi all

I closed the lid on my MacBook M1 Pro (14inch if that makes a difference) yesterday evening. Safari was the only open programme. I don't have wifi at the moment so it wasn't connected to wifi, so it wasn't getting mail etc. When I opened it in the morning it had drained around 15% (see red box in the image).

Do others find that? I checked activity monitor, and the only things that consumed more than 1 (whatever the unit is!) over the past 12 hours were closed, aside from Safari, which I assume stops running when you close the lid.

Software and apps all up to date (Ventura 13.1 etc.)

Thanks

John

Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 11.42.54.jpg
Battery

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I opened up my laptop this morning to see that it was dead. As you can see last night around 9:00 it was around 30%. I had not used the laptop about 2 days. The graph only shows the last 24 hours, but one thing is clear this MBP doesn't do well in sleep mode. My Razer does a better job then this :(
1675429767107.png

Reactions: johnsterdam

minutia-freesia

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2022
When I just close the lid on my M1 MBP, the battery drains a little bit, I don't know why. So, to stop it from draining, I switch it to sleep mode BEFORE I close the lid. No battery drain.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
This subject appears every few days here, check the older reports on this. Some have extensive description on what the problem may be (hanging application or background process, corruption in energy setting), how to figure it out and how to solve it. There re pages on web which you can find using Google and which describe the procedures also.
This is not normal, my system looses nothing over night, it wakes few times to update e-mail, but that takes nothing on battery.
Did you try restart? If it is misbehaving background process, that may fix it.
Upgrading to latest version may help simply due to the restart needed - or there are bugs which were fixed from .1.

TheEndZoned

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
Hi. Check your login items, particularly apps that uses Bluetooth and try to uninstall it. I found out that Logitech Options+ was causing massive battery drain in Ventura so I uninstalled it and my MacBook is not draining anymore during sleep.

Hope this helps!

dsc888

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Boston, MA USA
If you are willing to turn OFF your WiFi when you're done with your laptop, then battery drain will be minimal. I was a bit flustered at my new M2 Max losing up to 10% of battery life when left unused for 12 hours while unplugged. I can see from iStat Menu that it had intermittently turned itself on throughout the night to check for new emails and messages, etc. I knew I had set in Battery Settings to disable waking if on battery. And yet I still saw the power levels decrease.

So I decided to TURN OFF the WiFi in the menu bar right before I closed my MBP. And when I opened it up 12 hours later, it went from 100% to 98%-99% only after a few hours. Interestingly enough, iStat Menu still shows the CPU powering up intermittently but the battery usage has significantly been reduced.

This is just my own example so I don't know if this will work for everyone. I don't know if my MBP still turns back on the WiFi slight in the middle of the night when it's off to check for emails and messages and then turns if off afterwards. But I am happy that the battery drain has been reduced by a factor of 5 or so since I started to actively turn off WiFi before I go to bed each night.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.