Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajbennell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2015
Cheshire, England, UK
For the past month or so I’ve been seeing unusually high drain on my iPhone 7 battery. Its left untouched when I’m at work with Wi-fi off and it’ll go from 100% to 30% over the course of 7 hours. I’m running iOS12 but have seen no change from when it was on iOS11. Battery health says it’s at 84% of its original maximum. I don’t really want to fork out for a new phone... might just need a battery case if there’s not a fix.

Any thoughts / ideas are gladly welcomed.

ajbennell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2015
Cheshire, England, UK
Have you installed any new app that runs in the background?

Some apps are battery hogs if not configured correctly.

I’m pretty sure there’s nothing new on it. Unless an app update has caused something to have increased battery demands, but wouldn’t that show in the battery usage details... there’s nothing out of the ordinary there.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
I just received my Apple refurbished 7 last night and I am seriously questioning the battery performance.

Today at 4 o’clock I was on the phone for half an hour, then from around 5 to 6 I was on the phone on the way home from work, both times not looking at the screen, yet, if I’m interpreting the Battery stats correctly, it’s saying my screen was on.

I have my mail sent to manual fetch, and I don’t have that many things running in the background. iOS 12.

I didn’t notice whether or not the screen was on during those conversations above that drain my battery a lot more than I would have expected but I will check next time I use it. Is it typical for any of you to see their battery to go from high 80s to low 60s after just an hour and a half of talk time?

Also, during that first conversation I ever had on the phone from 4 to 430 today, his voice sounded over modulated and kind of distorted. Wondering whether or not I may have a lemon..

7AFEC90D-DE8D-436C-BBD6-1E32D9D3BEC0.png
811EBB3A-B7C7-487E-B02D-3360B3DB6980.png

This is the brightness setting I’ve had it on all day:

1E5B5DA7-05FB-4A31-8E84-6D4A1EAB6C41.png

Just in the time I re-entered into this message to upload the file, my battery went from 56 to 52

Last edited:

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I've got an appointment tomorrow to have the battery replaced on my iPhone 7. After two years of being almost constantly turned on, it's still showing a health of 90 percent. But I wanted to take advantage of the Apple offer. I don't think I'd want to watch the battery surgery. I can't stand the sight of spilled electrons, and I might get queasy.

justice4all77

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
I'm seeing others have the Siri battery drain too. Its always a low percent, but it is constant and I think quite taxing on the CPU. Hoping it is fixed in the next update, my xs max is horrible and I've set up as new with nothing on it

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
I've got an appointment tomorrow to have the battery replaced on my iPhone 7. After two years of being almost constantly turned on, it's still showing a health of 90 percent. But I wanted to take advantage of the Apple offer. I don't think I'd want to watch the battery surgery. I can't stand the sight of spilled electrons, and I might get queasy.

Sounds to me like you should instead hold onto a good thing until you really need it!

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Went to the Apple Store Saturday after two 30 minute calls on Thur & Friday. Was suggested to do an iCloud backup restoration, and no more.

I'm going to charge to 100%, run at home on wifi, put brightness to 50%, volume to 25%, turn off all background apps, and see how long I get a video to run at 50%. I'm curious if I'll have even 50% after 2 hours. I'll report back.

Curious to hear of others' similar experiences? 13 hours seems outright amazing. I hope I'm surprised.

https://www.apple.com/lae/iphone-7/specs/
Talk time (wireless):
Up to 14 hours on 3G
Standby:
Up to 10 days
Internet use:
Up to 12 hours on 3G
Up to 12 hours on LTE
Up to 14 hours on Wi-Fi
Wireless video playback:
Up to 13 hours
Wireless audio playback:
Up to 40 hours

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
Sounds to me like you should instead hold onto a good thing until you really need it!

I’m not sure I trust the battery health reading. Plus, Apple’s discounted battery replacement expires at year end. A lot of procrastinators may schedule appointments, and I wanted to get it out of the way. It’s being done right now.

Reactions: Tozovac

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
I’m not sure I trust the battery health reading. Plus, Apple’s discounted battery replacement expires at year end. A lot of procrastinators may schedule appointments, and I wanted to get it out of the way. It’s being done right now.

Completely understandable.

Meanwhile, I continue to be very underwhelmed if not disappointed with my "new" apple-refurb'd iPhone 7's battery life.

I left the house with a full charge. I have all background app refreshes turned off, and closed all open apps.

I made three text messages at redlights on my way to work and it went from 100% to 96% in that time. For less than 10 minutes total screen time, with the brightness at 30%.

Is this consistent with others' experiences with their iPhone 7 batteries? I'd truly like to hear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.