Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2tmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2020
I have a PowerBook G4 titanium mercury 500mhz, but the battery for it is dead. Because of this, whenever I want to use it I have to keep it plugged into the wall, unlike a traditional laptop. I recently updated it to macOS 10.4 tiger, and put a bunch of emulators on it, so I think it’s finally at the state where it would be useful to be able to carry it around. I need a “PowerBook G4 Rechargeable Battery” with a model number of M6091. I have been looking around sites like eBay, but I am unable to find many of them for sale, and I am unable to determine by myself if they are at a good price point considering I have never looking into this before (the PowerBook g4 was my first PowerPC computer). The best one I’ve found so far was:

and I would greatly appreciate any advice on if this is a good deal or not, and if you find a better one, I would greatly appreciate if you would include the link.

thanks for your help!

-2tmb

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I would investigate rebuilding your battery. It almost certainly contains regular off the shelf rechargeable cells that you can get from any electronics shop. If you can't do it, you may know someone who can.

2tmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2020
@barbu Unfortunately I am unable to open it, and it uses a proprietary connector.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
You misunderstood. If you search, you will see that one can open it and it contains common replaceable cells.
OWC used to sell batteries for ancient laptops but I doubt they have any left for PowerBooks. And the cost was alarming when they did have them. Anything sold on eBay or whatever will either be a cheap knock off or will be twenty years old.
[automerge]1595439920[/automerge]

Last edited:

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
I would give these folks a call: http://resale.headgap.com/. I've never personally purchased from them, but when I was looking for a 17" Powerbook battery a few years back, they were the only store I found where I could buy a brand new one for under $200. Didn't end up purchasing, but they certainly seem legit.

2tmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2020
@dbdjre0143 thanks for that, I’ll check it out.

@barbu, I attempted to open the battery but I accidentally sliced through the circuit board, so I’ll have to get a new one. Also I don’t see any way to close it back up even if that didn’t happen. I’ll attach a picture.
image.jpg
image.jpg

2tmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2020
@barbu thanks. I also cut a hole in the actual control board, so there is definetly no salvaging this one.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.