Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
I saw an article on twitter stating not to charge your iphone overnight, or from low percentages or keep it charging once it hits 100% as it will ruin the battery performance. They say to charge often from between 50-75%.

I was told in the past its the opposite, wait until it’s lower and let it get to 100. Also I was told the phone won’t cobtinue charging once it hits 100 but this article says it will continue to charge. I’m not sure who to believe and wish Apple had an official release or primer on battery care etc to help and dispel myths. Can anyone here confirm?
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-best-way-to-charge-your-smartphone-2018-1

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
There's all kinds of articles out there, some with good and some with bad info.
The phone will not overcharge once it hits 100%. You can leave it plugged in, it wont hurt the battery.
And avoid having it go down to completely low battery or turning off.
I try to start plugging it in usually when it hits around 25% or so.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
There is no way I am going to babysit my iPhone X to make sure it does not charge past 75%. The article you read is just plain wrong unless you are storing your device for a long period of time.

Just plug it in before going to bed and repeat every day. Do not obsess over your battery and enjoy the technology!

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
There is no way I am going to babysit my iPhone X to make sure it does not charge past 75%. The article you read is just plain wrong unless you are storing your device for a long period of time.

Just plug it in before going to bed and repeat every day. Do not obsess over your battery and enjoy the technology!
This.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I saw an article on twitter stating not to charge your iphone overnight, or from low percentages or keep it charging once it hits 100% as it will ruin the battery performance. They say to charge often from between 50-75%.

I was told in the past its the opposite, wait until it’s lower and let it get to 100. Also I was told the phone won’t cobtinue charging once it hits 100 but this article says it will continue to charge. I’m not sure who to believe and wish Apple had an official release or primer on battery care etc to help and dispel myths. Can anyone here confirm?

This might have been true in the 90s or with cheap devices but modern phones have power management circuitry, limiters, chips, firmware et al that prevent this from being a modern concern. Your iPhone never truly reaches absolute zero. It has precautions in place that force the phone to shut down before reaching 0% When charging the opposite is true although your phone reports 100% the phone is doing a careful balance of keeping the battery in peak performance by letting it deplete and siping small amounts of power back into the battery. When it seems the battery is full it stops charging automatically.

If you want to see an example of doing it wrong, look at the Samsung Note 8. It has an error in this process and actually lets the phone reach absolute zero. When this happens the power management wont let it charge and the battery has to be serviced.

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...They say to charge often from between 50-75%....?
Ideal but theoretical and impossible to fully implement.
There is no way I am going to babysit my iPhone X to make sure it does not charge past 75%....Do not obsess over your battery and enjoy the technology!
Real world and the best overall way since enjoying is well worth a minor batt life cost over stressful obsession.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
This might have been true in the 90s or with cheap devices but modern phones have power management circuitry, limiters, chips, firmware et al that prevent this from being a modern concern. Your iPhone never truly reaches absolute zero. It has predations in place that force the phone to shut down before reaching 0% When charging the opposite is true although your phone reports 100% the phone is doing a careful balance of keeping the battery in peak performance by letting it deplete and siping small amounts of power back into the battery. When it seems the battery is full it stops charging automatically.

If you want to see an example of doing it wrong, look at the Samsung Note 8. It has an error in this process and actually lets the phone reach absolute zero. When this happens the power management wont let it charge and the battery has to be serviced.
I agree folks. I came here because it looked suspect. But it was business insider. Here’s the article

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Tips to Maximizing Battery Health

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.