Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I use Beats Studio Buds+. When wearing my Series 9, I noticed that I can either connect directly to the earbuds by Airplay from the watch or control my iPhone as another device with the earbuds connected to the iPhone.

Is there a difference in battery life for the Apple Watch when doing that? I hope the watch is not using its cellular connection for Apple Music when I connect it directly to the earbuds, since I still have my iPhone nearby.

Mackilroy

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2006
There’s going to be some battery use, but in my experience, it’s minor. As for Apple Music, it’s only going to use the cellular connection if you’re specifically streaming through your Watch, and not through your phone.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
There’s going to be some battery use, but in my experience, it’s minor. As for Apple Music, it’s only going to use the cellular connection if you’re specifically streaming through your Watch, and not through your phone.
No. You can download music to the Watch to prevent it from using cellular. I do that when exercising but also because the battery drain on my AW8 is less than using cellular for music streaming when I don’t want to take my iPhone along.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016

And even then it will only use cellular if it cannot see the phone via BT and has no active wifi.

In terms of battery efficiency, best to worst, I believe it’s something like:

* iPhone to earbuds and use Watch to control playlist of phone
* Watch playing downloaded music to earbuds
* Watch streaming music but using phone Internet connection via BT
* Watch streaming music but using Wifi
* Watch streaming music using cellular

Reactions: Mackilroy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.