Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DKSon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
Hi All ,

A broke college student with a cry for help . Situation in short is as below .

MacBook battery had to be changed due to "service Battery" indicator .

Got a new battery and tried to change it by myself .

Accidentally screw driver touched the battery connector (its metal connectors which connects to the mother board ) while its still plugged in and saw a tiny spark . and now

Macbook wont identify either of the batteries and its indicated as ( x )

Magsafe is always green and MacBook starts on its own .

I did my research and checked the board for burnt resistors but couldn't find any .

i6259/u7000 has no damage marks from out and I don't know how to check it with the multimeter (please advise . instruct )

I checked few resistors around with multimeter (200k ohm ) and they given me a value of 0.21 ( I randomly checked few resistors which is around the U7000 chip .

I'm broke and even broke with the battery purchase . I don't have money to get this fixed as at now . so I would highly appreciate any sort of comments on this

and yeah coconut software does not detect any batteries .

and SMC is reset was done multiple times and chip seems to be fine as my fans run ok. and also no overheat issue .

battery indicator lights also does not work .

I highly appriciate resistors to be cheked advise with them marked on a pic

Macbook serial - W803726PAGW

Mnowell69

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2013
Bedford, UK
only cheap thing to try at this point is to replace the old battery and see if it all works again. at least this way you know if its your motherboard that's destroyed or just your new battery

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Since neither battery is detected, it could be a part on the motherboard has been damaged.

I suggest you take it to the Apple store and let them test the machine. If you can't get to the Apple store, carefully examine all parts of visible logic boards for surface damage.

Does the Macbook function at all?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your mid-2010 MBPro is considered obsolete by Apple, so even if an Apple store might test it, they won't likely offer any encouragement (and certainly no repair options), other than suggesting that you find some money to replace an eight-year old laptop.
If you have an Apple-authorized service shop near you, they may have some ideas about circuit board repairs, particularly if you live in or near a large city, where you might have more options for those kind of businesses.

DKSon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
Since neither battery is detected, it could be a part on the motherboard has been damaged.

I suggest you take it to the Apple store and let them test the machine. If you can't get to the Apple store, carefully examine all parts of visible logic boards for surface damage.

Does the Macbook function at all?

Hi Audit , yes MacBook runs on MagSafe power . if I remove it .. Mac dies instantly .

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Only thing I can suggest is trying another battery in the unit or taking it in to a repair shop for an estimate. After this, you can make a decision as to whether you can live with the Macbook in its current condition.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do the 2010 MBP's have a small "charging/power" board that is separately removable/replaceable?

Check ifixit.com for battery and power problem fixes.

If this isn't a "separately replaceable" part, and if changing the battery doesn't correct it, it might be time to start shopping for something newer... :(

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I agree with the post above, although honestly I doubt another battery will fix the problem.

The computer isn’t worth the cost to replace the motherboard, and finding anyone nowadays who can diagnose and replace the components on the board itself is very rare. You probably can’t be without a computer for the time it would take to diagnose and repair the board itself, in addition to the cost, I assume.

If the computer is working with the power brick, and you can live with it in a fixed location for now I would simply leave it alone and start saving/shopping for a replacement.

Do your research if buying used, the 2011 MacBook Pro models won’t run the upcoming macOS, and if I remember correctly some 2011 MacBook Pro models had defective graphics chips that you will want to avoid if shopping for a used MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.