Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kimberley Allen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2019
I recently paid around $500 to get my MacBook Air 11 inch fixed because of liquid damage. Part of this was removing the battery and replacing it with a new battery. That was just over a month ago. The other day when I came home from work it wouldn't turn on. Thinking maybe it had died or something I plugged in the charger and it did turn on. However, the battery logo wouldn't show up and it now says that no battery is installed in the power section of 'about this mac.'

I have reset the SMC and PRAM, and tried it with another charger to see if that was the problem but it's still the same.

Could it be that the person who repaired it used a faulty or old battery? Nothing else would explain it as I have been so careful since having to pay so much to repair it in the first place. It also hasn't died since the repair as I've been careful to charge it when it needs to be to prevent this. When he showed me what he had repaired he showed me that the battery had 0 cycle counts because it was new so I dont know.

Thanks for the help. Any help or advice would be great.

Sabretooth78

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Western NY
I only just in the past couple of days justified the expense of resurrecting a 2014 MBA which had suffered liquid damage back in 2015 and wasn't recognizing its battery. At the time, I tried DIY replacing the battery and the I/O board but to no avail. (I balked at trying a new logic board or chancing a repair, though I knew that was likely the problem.)

Fast forward to 2019 and I was pleasantly surprised to see the 2nd-hand logic boards had decreased significantly in price; sure enough, new board and the battery works pretty well considering it sat discharged for the better part of 4 years.

I also took advantage of the chance to upgrade to a faster CPU and more RAM; all told, the costs of this repair/upgrade were probably cheaper than I would have paid in upcharge for the higher specs at the time of purchase.

Obviously your mileage may vary, but depending on the year and specs of your machine it may well be advantageous for you to consider.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.