Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amcottre

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2017
I know this feature has been asked about a bunch here but I haven't seen this specifically asked or referred to. Out of curiosity, has anyone gotten this feature working that doesn't charge it nightly? I charge my phone every other night (and this isn't a complaint because 2 days out of the battery is nothing to complain about lol) and its typically the same schedule in terms of hours.

Had the phone for a month now and still nothing. I wish this feature had a manual option, otherwise I suppose I could just charge my phone before bed and unplug it then since it seems to charge fast so it doesn't sit all night.

icloudUser

macrumors regular
May 20, 2019
Just saying but if you want it to charge every other night why plug it in every night ?

I have seen battery opt feature work only a couple of times on my phone (theres a message / notification for it)

amcottre

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2017
I think you misunderstood. I charge it overnight, every other night. That’s all it requires right now for my use. I was just curious if anyone has had this feature work if it WASN’T nightly but still along the same hours of being plugged in.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Just saying but if you want it to charge every other night why plug it in every night ?

I have seen battery opt feature work only a couple of times on my phone (theres a message / notification for it)

Do you remember what the notification was, by any chance?

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
I also charge every other night since the battery lasts so long. I've seen it charge up to 80% and then charge up to 100% in the middle of the night (hours before I unplug). Other nights it would charge straight to 100%. I've never seen the optimized battery charging notification, for what it's worth.

Reactions: secretk

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I also charge every other night since the battery lasts so long. I've seen it charge up to 80% and then charge up to 100% in the middle of the night (hours before I unplug). Other nights it would charge straight to 100%. I've never seen the optimized battery charging notification, for what it's worth.

Same here. No notification, but usually it charges straight to 100% and infrequently I have seen it stay at 80 for a while (initially in the betas but not any longer).

icloudUser

macrumors regular
May 20, 2019
I think you misunderstood. I charge it overnight, every other night. That’s all it requires right now for my use. I was just curious if anyone has had this feature work if it WASN’T nightly but still along the same hours of being plugged in.

My bad I did.
Apple says it implements this feature using machine learning. Not much else is known about this feature.

Your use case is possible using ML. But who knows how Apple has configured the training/learning for this feature.
[automerge]1571817396[/automerge]
Do you remember what the notification was, by any chance?

That notification appears on the lock screen during charging if this feature is enabled.
I dont remember the exact text but it only says opt batt charging is being used. I cant remember if it says when the phone will be charged to 100%
I havent seen this notification in the last while after i changed my phone. XR -->11

Reactions: macintoshmac

RickCMC

Suspended
Sep 13, 2018
This feature has been completely worthless. I’ve had the same charging habits since iOS 13 came out and yet it never stops charging at 80%

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
This feature has been completely worthless. I’ve had the same charging habits since iOS 13 came out and yet it never stops charging at 80%

I had it stopping once but I am not sure why it decided to do it as it was not time where I usually charge my phone. I am not even sure why it was triggered.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
Mine does work now. But only for a very short time. No notification. But my battery health changed from 96 to 94 now.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
This is the notification that I saw today morning (I updated to 13.2 beta 4 before sleeping). It just informs that optimised charging is enabled.

Attachments

• 1BB434D8-907A-47CF-892D-01106790D7CE.jpeg
    1BB434D8-907A-47CF-892D-01106790D7CE.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 183
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.