Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

28tom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
Hi all,

I understand that this issue has likely been raised before, but I can't find a thread with a situation like mine (the fans are not running fast, it's not overheating and the charger lights up as normal). I have an Early 2015 Macbook Pro retina 13", all was working fine. I then was in between homes, etc (boring story) so it wasn't used for around 2 months. Since starting use again, the battery logo has vanished from the toolbar at the top and will only work when plugged into the charger. The charger lights up amber when plugged in but provides no power to the battery.

I have tried resetting the SMC (and other 4-letter acronyms that I can't remember), ran diagnostics and downloaded CoconutBattery (from recommendations from other threads) but as soon as I press the application to open, it immediately then closes down.

It may be as simple as a dead battery, in which case I will have to buy another one, but I'm hoping to see if you have any tips or alternatives before I go and spend the money.

In terms of usage before it was left alone for a couple of months, it was used reasonably regularly but not for anything 'powerful', mostly internet, emails, writing documents, etc...

Thanks in advance for any help! If you need any more information let me know and I'll try and find it.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Is the MacBook running slow?

Have you removed the bottom casing to see if the battery is swelling?

Does a battery appear in system report?

Run Apple diagnostics?

28tom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
Is the MacBook running slow?

Have you removed the bottom casing to see if the battery is swelling?

Does a battery appear in system report?

Run Apple diagnostics?
Yes the MacBook is running slow. I have removed the casing and the battery has not swelled. The battery does not appear in the system report and I have ran diagnostics and it says that no battery was discovered! Seems a mystery to me...

28tom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
Sounds like a bad battery and a replacement is needed.
In all honesty that’s what I suspected. Have you done this before? I’ve research some of the kits and guides on iFixIt, or would you take it to an Apple store? Because I have opened the back to check the battery will Apple still take it for repair?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
In all honesty that’s what I suspected. Have you done this before? I’ve research some of the kits and guides on iFixIt, or would you take it to an Apple store? Because I have opened the back to check the battery will Apple still take it for repair?
Yes, I have done the replacement myself using a battery from Amazon.

I used the Amazon replacement because the MacBook was a 2014 13" that was a bit flaky so I didn't want to put anymore money into it. The Amazon replacement cost me $80 Canadian. Through Apple, it would have cost $275.

jag2

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2021
the battery in my MacBook Pro had swollen up and needed to be replaced. i as not aware of the free exchange program and was told by Apple that that Apple had announced this on their website. i miss it since i normally rarely go to their website unless i am interested in a new computer. since this was potentially life threatening i am at a loss to wonder why Apple knowing our purchase history did not notify us via email?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.