Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Today Apple replaced my battery on my 6s plus.
I only realised when I was out that I left with a 16% left of battery charge. Is this normal? I would have thought a brand new battery would be almost full capacity and not 16% after walking out the store .. hmmm

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
As long as the battery operates like it should, you should be fine. The battery could have sat in inventory for a long while.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I only realised when I was out that I left with a 16% left of battery charge. Is this normal? I would have thought a brand new battery would be almost full capacity and not 16% after walking out the store .. hmmm

Surely it depends if they charged it or not? Have you tried to charge it? It’s a complete non-issue IMO if you can charge it ok, and it holds that charge.

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Surely it depends if they charged it or not? Have you tried to charge it? It’s a complete non-issue IMO if you can charge it ok, and it holds that charge.
I'm charging my phone now.. for the first time. I will have to keep an eye tomorrow and see how it goes.
It's just that it surprised me how little charge it had when I walked out. I didn't even realised there otherwise I would have asked them.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
During the iphone battery replacement program, I had Apple replace my wife's 7 Plus battery and after the replacment it only came 4%. Had no issues and still no issues.

Reactions: Guacamole

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
It's a 3 year old phone model, so the battery likely sat on the shelf for at least a year or so. The main issue is that it hasn't discharged below 5%, that it charges promptly, and that it holds its charge sufficiently once in use. LI batteries naturally discharge over time, even when not actively in use.

Reactions: Guacamole

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What does the battery health show?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Due to safety reasons, Lithium ion batteries kept in storage are never stored at 100%. Usually near 40%. But they can self discharge slowly over time. So newly manufacturered battery stored at 40% could drop down to 16% several months or a year later. Since the 6S is an old phone, you could have gotten an old new battery.

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Due to safety reasons, Lithium ion batteries kept in storage are never stored at 100%. Usually near 40%. But they can self discharge slowly over time. So newly manufacturered battery stored at 40% could drop down to 16% several months or a year later. Since the 6S is an old phone, you could have gotten an old new battery.

Also since they are shipped alone not in the phone I think it’s safer to have less of a charge as well. Lithium ion batteries are less likely to have a thermal runaway with a lower charge. Same reason you should discharge them before removing them from the phone if you accidentally puncture it you have less of a change of a fire.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Also since they are shipped alone not in the phone I think it’s safer to have less of a charge as well. Lithium ion batteries are less likely to have a thermal runaway with a lower charge. Same reason you should discharge them before removing them from the phone if you accidentally puncture it you have less of a change of a fire.
This is correct, if it's a stand alone lithium they are usually shipped with a very low charge. This is why almost, if not, but all of the XS/XS Max/XR smart battery case came with no charge out of the box.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015

It's normal that you have 16% battery you should consider yourself very lucky. iPhone 6s is a very ancient device and you still got that much juice?. When I get my new iPhones it's battery is not 100% charged. I wish iPhone battery works like car battery always 100% charged.

ranini

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
>Spain<-
The same here, my wife's 6s battery was replaced 2 weeks ago(by apple) and it cames with 7% :rolleyes:
by the way everything is working well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.