Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lg251

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Canada
Fully charged my BeatsX on Friday evening, and shut off them right away. Picked them up this morning and they were at 97%. So they lost 3% while shut over a 28-30-hour period.

This morning I used them for my gym session and here's what I got out of them.

8:52 AM - 94%
9:12 AM - 90% (4% in 10 minutes)
9:19 AM - 88% (2% in 7 minutes)
9:36 AM - 85% (3% in 17 minutes)
9:45 AM - 83% (2% in 9 minutes)
10:00 AM - 80% (3% in 15 minutes)
Total: 68 minutes = 14%
Theoretically this would give: 485.71minutes/8.09 hours for a full charge

**Was about 2 feet away from my phone for about 40 minutes, then 10-20 feet away for the remaining 28-30 minutes.

So far so good, curious on the long run how they will maintain this 8-hour life.
IMG_2025.PNG IMG_2026.PNG IMG_2029.PNG IMG_2030.PNG IMG_2033.PNG IMG_2036.PNG

TheRock88

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2009
Here's my experience so far:

Got to work today at 7 and they were at 100%. Right now it's noon time and they're down to 39% with 3 hours before I leave and about another hour at the gym so dont think they're gonna last unless I do a quick charge. So far it's been I've been listening to about 95% podcast listening, 3% music, and 2 % Youtube/a movie stored on my phone.

lg251

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Canada

Got to work today at 7 and they were at 100%. Right now it's noon time and they're down to 39% with 3 hours before I leave and about another hour at the gym so dont think they're gonna last unless I do a quick charge. So far it's been I've been listening to about 95% podcast listening, 3% music, and 2 % Youtube/a movie stored on my phone.

Did you use them from 7 to noon none stop?
If so, then 39% left gives you (theoretically) another 3+ hours of usage. It's at par with what their marketing. But having to charge them during the day to make it through is a bummer I agree.

TheRock88

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2009
If so, then 39% left gives you (theoretically) another 3+ hours of usage. It's at par with what their marketing. But having to charge them during the day to make it through is a bummer I agree.

I had a 15 min break where I left them on but wasnt actively using them for anything. Also some other times where I had to pause whatever I was listening to to help other coworkers. I would say maybe 35-45 min in total from 7-noon where they were on but nothing was being played. I actually got to around 25% left and it was 1:30 and had to borrow my coworkers Lightning cable so I could charge it to get through the rest of the day.

Reactions: lg251

kitt9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012

I am waiting on fedex to bring them to my house wednesday

LOL funniest thing I've read in a while. thank you!

P.S. That, too, has also been my experience, the fed ex waiting thing.

Last edited:

obargy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
Have you guys noticed that the headphone icon at the top right corner doesn't show the battery status of BeatsX? Normally, there should be a little battery icon stand just beside the headphone icon showing the battery status of the wireless headphone you are using.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008

bummer-ness increased by not being able to listen while you charge.

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
Have you guys noticed that the headphone icon at the top right corner doesn't show the battery status of BeatsX? Normally, there should be a little battery icon stand just beside the headphone icon showing the battery status of the wireless headphone you are using.
This doesn't happen on W1 enabled headphones for some reason. You can use the output selector in control center which shows the battery. Or the battery widget.

TheRock88

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2009
This doesn't happen on W1 enabled headphones for some reason. You can use the output selector in control center which shows the battery. Or the battery widget.

Yup same thing happens with my PowerBeats 3 and I'm assuming the Solo 3 too. Hopefully they can address this in 10.3

hxlover904

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
so far over about 3 days of using them (having them connected from about 7am to 7pm, moderate phone usage, connected and alerts playing through the headphones, some Siri dictation, etc), by about 7pm I still have 40-50% left. And today, I only charged it for an hour this morning (they were left sitting all night). I'm very happy with the battery life so far.

Reactions: lg251

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
so far over about 3 days of using them (having them connected from about 7am to 7pm, moderate phone usage, connected and alerts playing through the headphones, some Siri dictation, etc), by about 7pm I still have 40-50% left. And today, I only charged it for an hour this morning (they were left sitting all night). I'm very happy with the battery life so far.

If I only listen to music a few times during the day (walking to/from office, lunchtime), and in between I have music stopped (so not actively streaming) - I should be able to leave them 'on' around my neck for the full day? That sounds pretty good. Turning them on/off is the most annoying thing for me so far - the position of the power button is awkward and the 'lozenge' it sits on is slippery and narrow. Plus it takes a while to get that little sound that it is on and connected. So leaving it 'on but not on' would be convenient.

(More convenient would be going into standby/off mode when the magnets are stuck together..)

hxlover904

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
I agree the standby mode when the buds are stuck together would be pretty great. But I leave mine around my neck when I'm not using them and I have plenty of battery to get through the day. assuming mine aren't a deviation from the norm, I'd expect they'd last great for you.

Reactions: mrklaw

JasonSuave

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Can anyone comment on their battery life/drain while the headphones are turned off? I'm losing about 20% of my battery every day with the headphones turned completely off. This doesn't feel normal given my older Bluetooth headsets can go weeks being turned of while still holding *some* charge.

Also, Hxlover, you were saying that you were running them all day (7-7) with some usage and some standby and still seeing 40-50% at the end of the day. I feel like this suggests the earphones can go way farther than 8 hours when they're on and idling.

Reactions: Alize

hxlover904

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
I suspect you could be in standby far longer than 8 hours. Mine have currently been sync'ed to my phone for over 8 hours, been on the phone a lot. listened to a couple of songs. Currently have 38% battery left.

JasonSuave

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
After running several tests, I was consistently landing only 3 hours of call time on a full charge @ 75% volume. I was a surprised by this given my 2-year-old powerbeats2 still get more than 3 hours of talk time. I called Apple support on the issue and, after sending in my unit, they ended up sending me a full replacement. Unfortunately, the replacement only got marginally more talk time @ 3.5 total hours. The replacement unit also had an issue with the mic which was muffling my voice in almost all scenarios.

I'm curious: has anyone measured their battery life for music vs. call time with the beatsx? When I called Apple support, they were not able to answer that for me and just gave me come canned response from their script saying "I just says 8 hours." But, if the 3 hours of call time is in fact what this device is capable of... well, the airpods are suddenly looking a lot more appealing...

hxlover904

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
Currently, mine are sitting at 42% battery. They started the morning on full charge after I unplugged them at 7. They were turned on about 8. They've been mostly standby for the last 10 hours but I have been on the phone for about 3 hours total thru the day. I listened to 1 song. But I've also been getting my alerts and map directions through them all day. So, mine at least, seem to be able to get well more than 3 hours of talk time on them. Sucks that your replacements aren't any better than your original ones.

JasonSuave

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Wow, yeah, I'd say I managed to get my hands on two defective units. I gave my pair a full charge at lunch today. I've had them in standby for about 2-3 hours with alert sounds. I've been on the phone for about an hour. I'm now at 55%. Thanks for the details, Hx. I'll definitely be sending these in for one more service request.

Customerfive

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2017
Warzymice
Fully charged my BeatsX on Friday evening, and shut off them right away. Picked them up this morning and they were at 97%. So they lost 3% while shut over a 28-30-hour period.

This morning I used them for my gym session and here's what I got out of them.

8:52 AM - 94%
9:12 AM - 90% (4% in 10 minutes)
9:19 AM - 88% (2% in 7 minutes)
9:36 AM - 85% (3% in 17 minutes)
9:45 AM - 83% (2% in 9 minutes)
10:00 AM - 80% (3% in 15 minutes)
Total: 68 minutes = 14%
Theoretically this would give: 485.71minutes/8.09 hours for a full charge

**Was about 2 feet away from my phone for about 40 minutes, then 10-20 feet away for the remaining 28-30 minutes.

So far so good, curious on the long run how they will maintain this 8-hour life.
View attachment 688217 View attachment 688218 View attachment 688219 View attachment 688220 View attachment 688221 View attachment 688222
[doublepost=1507195863][/doublepost]In my case, it helped reset. Hold down the power and volume (-) buttons.

djroyst

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2017
You can also say "Hey Siri" if you have it enabled and ask Siri "What is the battery level for my BeatsX" and he (I have mine set for an Australian male) will respond and tell you your battery level. This also may depend on what version of iOS you are using but I've had mine since 10.3.3 and an iPhone 6 and this has worked just fine.

Hope this helps

Damian

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Hi, just wanted to get some advice on my beats X with IPhone X .

I am getting around 20% drain from 1 hour 15 mins of use - listening to Apple Music and watching a 25 minute video.

Is this normal? I thought a full charge on BeatsX should be getting 8 hours?

Thanks

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Hi, just wanted to get some advice on my beats X with IPhone X .

I am getting around 20% drain from 1 hour 15 mins of use - listening to Apple Music and watching a 25 minute video.

Is this normal? I thought a full charge on BeatsX should be getting 8 hours?

Thanks

Anyone asssit with the above?

newjerseydamo

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
I'm on my second pair after the first were replaced at an apple store.
First pair were getting about 4 hours instead of the 8 advertised.
This second pair is even worse, to about 3 hours a charge.
This is all within 10 months.

I travel by train to and from work an hour each way, and one trip of an hour is sucking 25-30%.

I'll be taking these back again and asking for a refund this time. Just horrible and nowhere near marketed times.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
Can't squeeze more than 6 hours no matter how low the volume is. Anyone else with battery life issues?

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I am getting close to the advertised 8 hours battery life. Havent noticed drastic difference between call and music battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.