Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emaytea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2019
FL
I received this email:

i am awärę wr!4769+ ōne of yōur passwords.
i placed a software ōn the X videos (sęx sites) sİtę and yōu know what, yoū visİted this website to experięnce fun (yoū knōw what İ mean). Whęn you were viewİng vİdęō clips, your web browser started out functioning as ä Remōte Dęsktop thät häs a keylōggęr which prōvİded me accessibİlity to yōur displäy screen as well as cam. immedİately after that, my software program obtained every one of your contacts from your Messenger, Facebook, as węll as e-mail . after that i creatęd ä double vİdeo. 1st pärt displays the video yoū werę watching (yōu'vę got a nİce tästę lmäō), and next pärt shows the recōrdİng of your web camera, yea its yoū.
Second alternatİvę will be tō compęnsate me $1318.

Now, wr!4769+ is one of my old passwords- I've changed it- and I believe this is all this fool has. He/she's threatening to load videos to the 'Net, unless I pay him/her. My questions is: Can they do anything they claim to be doing? I'm pretty sure if they had video, they'd have sent some to prove it. And I'm pretty sure one can't place a remote keylogger on a desktop, tho' I don't know. Any help? BTW, I've got a Macbook Pro, but I'm using a library computer, just in case.

emaytea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2019
FL
Thank you all. It seemed an awful lame threat, no proof, etc. but then, I'm no hacker or security genius, so I couldn't tell. Wasn't concerned about videos, just bank info, passwords, the like. If I was doing what they accused me of, the videos would be far less scandalous than boring. Which, I suppose, would be even more embarrassing.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
This is a good reason to never reuse passwords. Never ever. Nope, nil, nada.

The risk is that if someplace where the password is used has a mass password breach, then every other place where you've used that password, or one similar to it, becomes vulnerable. It's the domino effect.

On the other hand, if everywhere you have a password gets its own unique strong password, then the worst that happens in case of a breach is you have to clean up exactly one account.

emaytea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2019
FL
This is a good reason to never reuse passwords. Never ever. Nope, nil, nada.

The risk is that if someplace where the password is used has a mass password breach, then every other place where you've used that password, or one similar to it, becomes vulnerable. It's the domino effect.

On the other hand, if everywhere you have a password gets its own unique strong password, then the worst that happens in case of a breach is you have to clean up exactly one account.
Thanks; I was in fact in the process of changing all my passwords as i got onto a site before I got this email, but I was using the same combo of alpha-numeric ending to make it easy to remember... I nixed that idea after this.
Fortunately, I received an email from the breached site just today telling me about the breach, which happened only within the last 2 days. Can't remember if I was ever on a naughty site on this computer, but certainly not within the last couple of days, so I know it's all a bluff. They got a password from one site, my email address from that site, and that's the extent of it. I'm hoping.

emaytea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2019
FL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.