Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Hello to all! I am looking for a Beginner's DSLR. I do not need the current camera, all I need is a nice little cam that doesn't have that many features and takes clear photos. I have been using a Point and Shoot camera for about 3 years. I think it it is time to upgrade to a clearer picture. I would not like "no-name" brands prefably. Of course it has to be mac compatible. I think thats all I need! Thanks for the help!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I would recommend the Nikon d40 or d50. If you prefer Canon then I say go for the rebel.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I'm getting my first DSLR this week: a Canon Rebel XTi. I like the Canons best, but only because I learned photography on a Canon 35mm, so the controls will be familiar.

Also, I was going to go with the XT, but for $170 more, I thought it was better to just get the newer release, but that's just personal preference (ie: up to each person whether the newer features are worth $170).

If you prefer Nikon, the D40 looks like a great choice.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
The most recent MacWorld (it's not available on their website yet) had a rundown of "The Top 5 dSLRs", written by Ben Long - who, I should point out, shoots Canon. The top two picks from the article were the Nikon D40 (beginner) and the Nikon D80.

I have a Nikon bias, so I agree with this. :D However based on past experience, if Canon produces a new budget dSLR before you've purchased (assuming Nikon doesn't also do the same) - consider that new Canon. FWIW it's been my impression that whichever of the two companies most recently introduced a product seems to have what is, at that point, the best value.

The bottom line, though, is that you will be very happy whichever way you go - Nikon, Canon, or even Pentax/Sony/Olympus.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
It's not a dSLR, but the Canon S3 IS is an amazing camera. It costs a fraction of the price of a dSLR, but it still has full manual mode (focus, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, white balance, etc.)

carve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
cheaper?

is there a cheaper used one for like 200 dollars?:)

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
I would recommend the Nikon d40 or d50. If you prefer Canon then I say go for the rebel.
don't forget the K100D! it's a great camera, and has a nicer kit lens than the rebel. it also has more AF points than the D40 and D40x. Oh, and it's image stabilized, which is great to have.
is there a cheaper used one for like 200 dollars?:)
not really, unless you want something that has a noisy 1 MP sensor. be prepared to shell out 450+ for any fairly recent used DSLR that's not in terrible condition.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL

I owned a 5 Mp Kodak easyshare for two years. Loved it but have moved on to a Panasonic Lumix fz50, which takes waaay better pictures. The Kodak spent about six weeks in three separate visits to the geek squad at BB, before I finally sold it to a friend for $100. If you're looking for better quality pics, that one isn't going to provide them. Mine had dead pixels show up from the sensor, auto focus problems, jammed zoom lens, I would not reccommend a Kodak.:)

Keep in mind, I exposed my 5Mp 10x optical zoom to salt air and sand almost daily while I was using it.,

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.

do NOT buy a kodak. if you want something more like a DSLR, look at this. it has a very nice leica lens! if even $280 is too much for you, this fuji hasn't gotten bad reviews. If you're willing to spend the $280, it'd make the most sense to save up a bit more and go for a Panasonic FZ8K or canon S3 IS.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Can kodak's use iPhoto?

all cameras can use iPhoto - ya know, since it's the PHOTO part that's important...

But seriously, don't get a Kodak. We had one for a while, and it was horrible. There are some nice point and shoots out there that will give you nice photos for cheaper than a DSLR, but Kodak isn't one of them.

I'm selling it now (to upgrade to that XTi like I said), but I recommend the Fujifilm e900. GREAT little camera - 9 Megapixels, full automatic control, RAW format support...

amd4me

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2006
I was just about to start a new thread almost exactly like this one.
Weird.

I was wondering what are the pros and cons of the Nikon and Canons?
They seem to be almost as controversial as the Mac vs PC thing.
Why would you choose one over the other?

raptor96

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2006
RI
FWIW, based on what the OP said, other than "I want a dSLR" I think if the only need is for "clearer pictures" something like the S3 IS as has been suggested might be a better choice. I bought a D50 because I want to be able to use my film camera's lenses but I sincerely considered the S3 IS because you can't beat point and shoot for portability. And the S3 shoots pretty damn well for being very portable. SO imho if you don't need the dSLR (lenses etc.) stick with a very versatile P&S (that said if you need the dSLR - D50 all the way, unless you want something more straightforward, in which case - d40).

My 2 cents.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
FWIW, based on what the OP said, other than "I want a dSLR" I think if the only need is for "clearer pictures" something like the S3 IS as has been suggested might be a better choice. I bought a D50 because I want to be able to use my film camera's lenses but I sincerely considered the S3 IS because you can't beat point and shoot for portability. And the S3 shoots pretty damn well for being very portable. SO imho if you don't need the dSLR (lenses etc.) stick with a very versatile P&S (that said if you need the dSLR - D50 all the way, unless you want something more straightforward, in which case - d40).

My 2 cents.

I think if you had read the whole thread, it's quite clear the OP was confused about DSLRs and their costs. Seeing as he asked if iPhoto would work with Kodaks, I'd say he's far from needing a DSLR.. and probably not even something as nice as the S3 IS, to be honest.

carve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
easyshare one?

At the bottom of the Kodak specifications sheet it clearly states "mac compatible". I know that means the camera works worth mac, but will the wireless feature work with mac, I am assuming it will though. By the way thanks for all the help! I know that you guys are kind of anti Kodak, but my family members have had very good luck with them.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
At the bottom of the Kodak specifications sheet it clearly states "mac compatible". I know that means the camera works worth mac, but will the wireless feature work with mac, I am assuming it will though. By the way thanks for all the help! I know that you guys are kind of anti Kodak, but my family members have had very good luck with them.

Why are you asking us for advice if you're just going to ignore what we say anyways?

carve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
I am listening to what your saying I am just considering other options.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
This page says it will work.

"The EasyShare can wirelessly transfer photos to your Mac or PC"

I'd say your needs are far from a DSLR. Also, what you need to realize is that $400 you are paying for a (Bottom line) DSLR BODY. It will NOT give you good pics by itself. You will need to buy lenses, which in fact can run up more than double the cost than the camera itself. I would stick with a nice P&S if I were you. Out of curiosity, why do you think you need a DSLR? What kind of pictures do you take?

carve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Thanks, I was looking in to take close up pictures of animals such as, frogs, snakes ETC. I like to take pictures of wildlife.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.