Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
When my wife is out of the house the only reliable way for her to contact me is by e-mail. I'm on Gmail. But when I'm writing on my Mac I don't like to be distracted by the internet and will either minimise the browser, usually Chrome though I'm attracted by Opera, or prevent it from opening with 1Focus. It there any way I can be informed by a popup etc that I have an e-mail from her (and only her), ideally when Chrome is closed but I would settle for the option of having Chrome merely minimised. I don't use Apple Mail. Thanks.

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Thanks for your reply. I don't have Messages set up. In fact, I'm fairly ignorant about the app but I'll check it out. It sounds a good idea as long as I'm not inundated with other messages too. A quick look at your link and I'm not sure where to go. How do I set up the SMS?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Gmail filters might do the trick (eg. filter(s) to move any email other than wife's to some other folder to prevent a notification from the Inbox for all others).

Can't recall if Gmail has an equivalent to Apple's VIP category.

I'm guessing there are some 3rd party notification programs that will monitor Gmail: have seen them in the past.

Worst case scenario, setup Mac Mail for the Gmail account and can do something similar to Gmail filters (shunt the messages to different mailbox and have Mac Mail only alert for Inbox items). And make use of Apple's VIP function.

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I'll check out whether Gmail has a VIP category. I've worked my way through some of the 3rd party programs but so far not found one that will do what I want. Maybe using Mail might be the best idea if it comes to it.

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
I'm actually coming down on one of two possibilities. One is an app that sits on the menu bar and gives me access to Gmail even when the browser is closed. It will notify me of all news e-mails sadly but I can learn to ignore the ones other than those from my wife. The other is an add-in for Chrome which will do exactly as I want but I find it a little unwieldy and I may be changing my browser anyway before long. I really don't need to be using Mail either. Thanks for the help everyone.

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey
I'm actually coming down on one of two possibilities. One is an app that sits on the menu bar and gives me access to Gmail even when the browser is closed. It will notify me of all news e-mails sadly but I can learn to ignore the ones other than those from my wife. The other is an add-in for Chrome which will do exactly as I want but I find it a little unwieldy and I may be changing my browser anyway before long. I really don't need to be using Mail either. Thanks for the help everyone.

Just a quick search in Google for 'mac gmail notifier' brought up a bunch of hits, with MIA being the first one:
https://www.miaforgmail.com/

not sure if that's what you're looking for, but seems to be a lot of options to try out...

--rob

Suspended
May 28, 2017
If nothing else, I want to congratulate you on a great marriage. It is kind of rare these days, you know :)

Reactions: Weaselboy

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland

I was going to say that the method of doing this would likely depend on how you access that mail.

However, if you have a cellphone you could possibly set a filter at Gmail to forward emails from your wife to the email/SMS address your phone number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.