Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shelbias

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
i just noticed that one of the prongs for my canon rebel xsi's hot shoe is bent inwards. i've perused through the net for solutions and i'm down to two solutions:

1. brute-force the metal with a screwdriver (or other tool), or
2. have a professional do it (which I'm more inclined to do)

is there anyone out there who experienced this problem? what did you do?

if i send it back to canon for repairs, how much will it cost? how long will it take? i don't want to part with my camera since i'm preparing for a trip to london next month.

any help/advice would be appreciated!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I would have Canon do it. That's pretty thick metal; seems as though it would be easy to makes matters worse by doing it yourself. I have no idea how much the repair would cost, though.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The Canon service place is down in Orange County. Irvine, I think. You can walk in and ask them. Calling them will not help much a they can't see the camera. Last time I walked in with a Rebel that had some water in it they said "buy a new one". but your problem is more minor.

I'm really surprized that the metal would bend with out breaking the plastic under it. I would have though a bump that hard would break the pentaprism assembly. Maybe you are lucky. I suspect that if you tried to pry the metal it would just come loose before it would bend, but I was wrong already. That plastic must be stronger than I thought

shelbias

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
thanks for your replies! :)

the more i think about it, the more i suspect that i received the camera in such condition since i just got it and haven't really used it that much (ordered it on 10/9). i'll try to call J&R tomorrow, and more likely they will just refer me to Canon for service. it doesn't hurt to try anyway.

will keep this thread updated. replies are welcome. :)

shelbias

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
i called J&R this morning, and they agreed to exchange the camera with a new kit (fell within the 30 day satisfaction guarantee). i was pleasantly surprised that they would do this, however i am not jumping up and down yet until this transaction is over.

hopefully, it ends well in my favor. :)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
i called J&R this morning, and they agreed to exchange the camera with a new kit (fell within the 30 day satisfaction guarantee). i was pleasantly surprised that they would do this, however i am not jumping up and down yet until this transaction is over.

hopefully, it ends well in my favor. :)

Good news. :) Let us know how it works out in the end.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Cool, that's nice to hear :D, a whole new camera, sweet

Like Phrasikleia said, do give us an update :cool:

shelbias

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
thanks!

i sent the camera back to them last week and it should get there tomorrow. i also asked them to expedite the shipping and they said i will only have to pay for the difference between ground and 2nd day (roughly $5). i'm staying optimistic, as this entire transaction is not yet complete until i have the new camera in my hands. :)

will keep you guys posted.

shelbias

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
thanks, wheelhot!

the camera is supposed to come in today. J&R just earned my loyalty: great customer service, fast shipping and reasonable rates! :D

i'm excited to start shooting again, esp with all the other "goodies" i bought while waiting for my camera. lol!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.