Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VintageCollector

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2023
Hi, my MacBook Pro's battery packs are all currently swollen and the trackpad is also becoming difficult to press. I took it a nearby Apple authorized service center but they refused to take it in for repair. They told me they take only units from 2017 onwards. So, now third party is my only option. Any suggestions for battery brands?

In the past for my brother's 2011 15inch MBP I had got a NuPower battery for $99 in 2018 and it was fine in the first year but sadly my AMD gpu failed on the mac in 2019. So, I've had to use a software bypass to keep it running on the Intel GPU but unfortunately I read somewhere that this kept the AMD gpu still running in background. So the mac was hot usually most of the time. Though the NuPower battery still had 94% battery health in 2020 when I sold it, it would hold a charge only for like 1.5-2 hours, now I don't know if this was due to the gpu issue or bad battery quality. Is ifixit a good brand?

Attachments

• IMG_5923.JPG
    IMG_5923.JPG
    409.4 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_5922.JPG
    IMG_5922.JPG
    357 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5924.JPG
    IMG_5924.JPG
    477.8 KB · Views: 63

VintageCollector

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2023
I highly recommend iFixit batteries.
Thanks. What I got concerned is in the reviews below the battery pack some people have mentioned it died after less than 2 years and degrades quite quickly. Also these batteries cost a lot more than the other ones out there.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't think I've seen solid information on the sourcing of any of the third-party batteries for old Mac laptops so it's impossible for me to say that the ones at iFixit are any different than the ones available on Ebay or Amazon.

So for that model…a $90 iFixit battery might just be the same thing as the others for $25-$40 more…but with what I'd say is a more trustworty one-year warranty as well as some testing before it's sold.

Reactions: VintageCollector

VintageCollector

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2023
I don't think I've seen solid information on the sourcing of any of the third-party batteries for old Mac laptops so it's impossible for me to say that the ones at iFixit are any different than the ones available on Ebay or Amazon.

So for that model…a $90 iFixit battery might just be the same thing as the others for $25-$40 more…but with what I'd say is a more trustworty one-year warranty as well as some testing before it's sold.
I’ve had very good experience with their phone batteries. I’ve used it on a few iPhones and my Pixel a few years back and they still hold very well to this day like the original ones. But their Apple Watch batteries not so much, two were DOA and only in 3rd replacement it worked on my series 4. I feel like they may have been in storage for a while causing them to die or go bad quickly. The mac laptop batteries might be same case I believe. Like you said it could be just the same batteries having an iFixit label but tested. The issue is mostly they work initially fine but go bad quickly. Anyway I just ordered one from a brand called Puredick. :D I saw in a few threads here some members say they are really good. I’ll see how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.