Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Have a old AE-1 that I thought I'd lost, and I'd like to shoot a few rolls through. All I've got is a box of crappy expired Kodak 200, and I don't minding spending a few bucks to get some quality shots.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
COOL!! .. I dug out my old AE-1 about 4 months ago. I bought a 70-210 zoom lens for it on Ebay. I'm using 400ASA film which seems to work very well.

There is something really cool about the way the AE-1 (or any good quality film camera for that matter) feels in your hands. The action on the focus and zoom is sooooo smooth. And the quality of the pictures is difficult to match with a digital camera. One thing I find annoying about digital cameras is the amount of time it takes from when the photo button is pressed and when the picture is taken (varies based on the digital cameras settings). With the AE-1, when you push the shutter button the picture is taken instantly.

Maybe we are part of a new/old revolution back to film cameras?? nahhhh ..... it'll never happen :)

Cheers.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
For B&W, I like Ilford (try some 400, and some 1600).

Color is a bit different. I used to love shooting landscapes, so velvia was my choice. For portraits, I like NPS (160)- it just blends colors very nicely, softening up skin.

phiberglass

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
I found my ae-1 program a year or two ago. Unfortunately, I tested it out, but none of the pictures came out :(

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Have a old AE-1 that I thought I'd lost, and I'd like to shoot a few rolls through. All I've got is a box of crappy expired Kodak 200, and I don't minding spending a few bucks to get some quality shots.

Yes you can get some quality shots. In terms of image quality film still beats digital SLR cameras. Well, that assumes you have the scan done correctly.

There is no "best" film. You have to match the film to the subject and the amount of avialable light. Just like with your digital camera the lower the ISo the lower the noise (or grain) so if you can shoot some 100 speed film you get better result them with 400. Unless there is not enough light.

Next it depends on the subject. For people I like either of the ISO 160 portrait films (I prefer Agfa) it is sharp but with soft colors, that are low contrast and it scans very well. For outdoor landscapes the "standard is Fuji "velvia" slide film.

If you shoot negatives it does little to over expose by 1/2 stp or so. But slides and digital are alike, be careful not to blow the highlights

35mm film will scan to roughly 24 megapixel 16-bit per channel images, more or less depending on the film type, the lens and your technique.

I found my ae-1 program a year or two ago. Unfortunately, I tested it out, but none of the pictures came out :(

Where you able to figure out what was wrong? Could be something as simple is not loading the film correctly

.. One thing I find annoying about digital cameras is the amount of time it takes from when the photo button is pressed and when the picture is taken (varies based on the digital cameras settings). With the AE-1, when you push the shutter button the picture is taken instantly.

It is called "shutter lag". You must be used to "Point and Shoots" all the current digital SLR camera have zero shutter lag. That is one feature that sets the DSLR apart from the little P&S cameras. Shutter lag has nothing to do with film.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Kodak 200 is really good film, I would buy what you have as well if I could as I appreciate the possibility of what out of date film can do.

I've also managed to print really well with Kodak 200 in a black and white darkroom from such colour negatives.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
My fav colour film - Kodak Portra 400NC

Fav B&W so far - Ilford HP5+

Keep in mind it's harder to develop B&W unless you do it yourself or find a pro lab but C-41 colour negatives can be done really anywhere.

There are colour slides however (e.g. Velvia) which are more expensive to buy and process and you'll most likely have to take them to a pro lab. Some places do them though.

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
So many different films that each produce a unique image. It really depends on what you want.

If you have the money to buy a good film, Velvia 50 will blow your mind, especially for landscapes. Very saturated colors but has to be processed E-6, which is more expensive and harder to find.

For people I usually go for Kodak Portra if I have the money, the VC is slightly more saturated than the NC, comes in a 160, 400, and 800 ISO.

Black and white has a lot of options, I'm a fan of Kodak Tri-x or Ilford HP5+ or Ilfords Delta 3200 if I need some good high speed film

That said, I have still got great colors with expired Kodak Gold, I normally over exposure cheaper/expired films by 1/2 to a full stop, then adjust the levels in post processing. I find that this gives me slightly more vibrant colors.

The AE-1 is a very capable camera and should give you some great results. Make sure to post some photos once you get them developed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.