Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

titangears

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Currently I am using AVG Antivirus for Mac. I am aware of Sophos Antivirus for Mac, but they want people to sign up with them and have a network connection to their servers for their antivirus solution to work. (Sophos didn't always do this.). So I feel pretty safe using AVG on my Mac since they've been in the antivirus biz for a long time, but figured I should ask someone who knows more than I do about such things.

So... Stick with AVG? Any other recommendations?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I'm sure you have been told before that there are no viruses in the wild that can infect your Mac. So why even use an AV application? Most of them are known to use resources and in some cases interfere with updates. There are several good anti malware apps that you can use instead. Yes, there is malware that can impact Macs but no viruses.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Currently I am using AVG Antivirus for Mac. I am aware of Sophos Antivirus for Mac, but they want people to sign up with them and have a network connection to their servers for their antivirus solution to work. (Sophos didn't always do this.). So I feel pretty safe using AVG on my Mac since they've been in the antivirus biz for a long time, but figured I should ask someone who knows more than I do about such things.

So... Stick with AVG? Any other recommendations?

Just use the one that came with your Mac. Hint: there wasn't one, because you don't need one.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
Run first aid in disc utilities

Now, what is a bored Belarusian developed a virus yesterday, posts a link to free MBP 2018, and some fall for the bait and get their macs effected?
Why can’t that happens?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You don't need an "anti-virus" for Mac.
There has never been a "Mac virus" (per se) discovered "in the wild" yet.

But... there IS Mac malware and adware that turns up, so...

What you DO need:
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for Mac.
Download it here:
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

It's a free download.
The app will prompt you to register for the "paid" version.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO THIS !!!!
The app runs "free" for 30 days, and AFTER 30 days, it will then convert itself into the free version and continue to run in "free mode".
The difference is that you have to "manually launch" the free version to run it.
That's good enough.

Just run MalwareBytes every few days.
It actually works!

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I had 2 pre-Intel Macs, and now 1 iMac, 1 Mini, and 6 laptops (all Intel) and have never used an anti-virus on a Mac. We practice safe computing and we know how to recognize a phishing e-mail and ignore them. We don't download torrents or programs that are useful but when installed they add a bunch of junk. All active machines are backed up regularly with SuperDuper and have 3 backups of each system. Never an issue. No hardware issues either. Only a few crashes, none of which repeat. I switched to Mac back in 2003.

purgatori_sakkara

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2018
Australia
XProtect (built in to MacOS) takes care of malware in the unlikely event that your Mac system is exposed to malware designed to run in MacOS. Viruses, as others have said, aren't an issue to begin with. So the only good reason to run an anti-virus/anti-malware suite is if you feel your Mac is running too fast, and you want to slow it down some (anti-virus/malware suites are also good at decreasing system stability and making your SSL connections less secure, so there's another use case there).

Facetiousness aside, if you're regularly sending attachments to Windows users there's a legit case to be made for installing some sort of lightweight scanner just to make sure that you're not passing on something that's going to infect their systems. That being said, though, a lot of e-mail providers nowadays scan attachments before they're sent anyway.

When it comes to your own security, just make sure you're not installing software that compromises security (e.g., Flash, Java), and that any software you do install comes from trusted sources---either a trustworthy developer's website, or the Mac app store (I'd recommend the latter in most cases). Any scripts (e.g., AppleScript scripts or Bash scripts) should also come from trusted sources. Oh, and keep your system up to date, of course.

Last edited:

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
You mostly likely won’t need an Antivirus for your Mac. Frankly, I myself never sought the need to have Antivirus software on my computers (Windows Included). Just use common sense. If you’re still adamant about it, try MalwareBytes.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
I agree with what's been said on the anti virus.

You can always do an on-demand scan with files you're concerned about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.