Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Time Vapsule VS NAS

• Time Capsule

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • NAS WD EX2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other 2 -4Bay External Drive

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

andrew5494

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Toronto / The 6
Hey guys so I've been debating for a while which would be better for me can you help?
I want something that I can rely on for backups with all of my pictures and memories. I already have icloud photo library.
What would you recommend?
Is it worth a NAS WD EX2 for having a more secure backup or is that just being paranoid?

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Time Capsule is fine ... as long as you have a back up of your Time Capsule as well. Always keep multiple back ups of things you really care about.

Reactions: Weaselboy

andrew5494

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Toronto / The 6
Time Capsule is fine ... as long as you have a back up of your Time Capsule as well. Always keep multiple back ups of things you really care about.
Yes I would prefer to by a time capsule cause of how nice it looks but
If i have to keep a backup of my time capsule it will cost much less to purchase a nas which already keeps two backups
[doublepost=1456410205][/doublepost]Lets see
Time Capsule 2TB = $380
External Backup 2TB = $130
Total = $510

WD EX2 2TB = $490

So $20 more for time capsule and a backup probably worth it
but still not sure if thats the best setup

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I would go with option one there because it is truly two backups. To me, having two backups in one device like the WD is not really two backups because if the hardware device fails, the backups are gone.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I stopped using a NAS for backups because OS X updates would always screw something up that the NAS did not like.

Instead of a Time Capsule, I installed OSX Server on my mini and point my Macs towards that for backups, with DAS for the TM backup.

Reactions: andrew5494

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Do you need a backup system over a network? Because you can always run time machine on two external hard drives, and time machine will alternate every hour, backing onto each drive every two hours.

andrew5494

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Toronto / The 6
Do you need a backup system over a network? Because you can always run time machine on two external hard drives, and time machine will alternate every hour, backing onto each drive every two hours.
I do have a desktop computer right now so maybe that would just be the best.
I just don't want it to look messy and if ever I get a laptop it would help.

In this case would you recommend a WD duo?

andrew5494

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Toronto / The 6
Under no circumstances would I recommend any WD consumer-grade product. I use one of these as one of my Time Machine backup units:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/METB7DH4.0T/

I have it configured as a pair of 2TB hard drives in RAID1.
Huh thats a little more costltly
And the reviews dont look that great.
Its really that bad to get a WD?
Afterall if one drive fails dont you have another one to rely on?
http://www.amazon.ca/OWC-Thunderbolt-Enclosure-independent-OWCMETB7DK0GB/dp/B00HYH6WWW

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
The link you provided was to the bare OWC enclosure.... I guess that's to show the reviews... well, most people who have success with a product don't put reviews up on amazon unless they have time on their hands. I've been using one of these enclosures for 2 years without a single hitch.

Now, to the question of WD.

One problem, is that WD don't know the first thing about designing cases to be re-opened and replace drives. They fully expect you to throw their drives away once they've stopped working outside of warranty period. Another problem is that some WD enclosures (not certain all of them do this) encrypt the data so if the case dies, you lose all your data, because you cannot simply remove the drive mechanism and put it into another enclosure or drive dock...

The 3rd issue I have with WD is that they use their cheapest consumer-grade hard drives inside their storage units, and I personally have been bitten royally by entrusting them with my data. I only recommend HGST and Toshiba HDDs now.

andrew5494

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Toronto / The 6
The link you provided was to the bare OWC enclosure.... I guess that's to show the reviews... well, most people who have success with a product don't put reviews up on amazon unless they have time on their hands. I've been using one of these enclosures for 2 years without a single hitch.

One problem, is that WD don't know the first thing about designing cases to be re-opened and replace drives. They fully expect you to throw their drives away once they've stopped working outside of warranty period. Another problem is that some WD enclosures (not certain all of them do this) encrypt the data so if the case dies, you lose all your data, because you cannot simply remove the drive mechanism and put it into another enclosure or drive dock...

The 3rd issue I have with WD is that they use their cheapest consumer-grade hard drives inside their storage units, and I personally have been bitten royally by entrusting them with my data. I only recommend HGST and Toshiba HDDs now.
OK thanks so would it be ok to use a WD my duo enclosure with one of the drives you mentioned.
Also when you say throw the drives away are you talking about the enclosure also or just the hard drives cause if it's just the hard drive you can replace them right.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
There are NAS that do automatic cloud backup. Where and with whom? And how much does each TB cost? Do you have 1000/1000 broadband?

andrew5494

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Toronto / The 6

You know what I think its worth getting that drive you mentioned even if it does cost a little more
Are there any without thunderbolt to cut the price?

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
OK thanks so would it be ok to use a WD my duo enclosure with one of the drives you mentioned.
Also when you say throw the drives away are you talking about the enclosure also or just the hard drives cause if it's just the hard drive you can replace them right.

WD don't design their enclosures for re-use, so they expect you to throw the whole lot away. The enclosures are typically quite a pain to crack open..
[doublepost=1456438446][/doublepost]
You know what I think its worth getting that drive you mentioned even if it does cost a little more
Are there any without thunderbolt to cut the price?

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/External-Drive/OWC/Elite-Pro-Dual

Personally, I would stick with the Thunderbolt model, because Thunderbolt connections are rock solid, whereas OS X has a serious bug with USB3 that involves random ejecting of disks connected via USB3 when a Mac is put to sleep.

Last edited:

andrew5494

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Toronto / The 6
WD don't design their enclosures for re-use, so they expect you to throw the whole lot away. The enclosures are typically quite a pain to crack open..
[doublepost=1456438446][/doublepost]

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/External-Drive/OWC/Elite-Pro-Dual

Personally, I would stick with the Thunderbolt model, because Thunderbolt connections are rock solid, whereas OS X has a serious bug with USB3 that involves random ejecting of disks connected via USB3 when a Mac is put to sleep.
Thanks you.
The thunderbolt is just too much money especially in canadian dollars with our sinking dollar plus shipping.
Ill be willing to take the chance with the usb 3 bug and if anything happens i can always return it.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Time Capsule is fine. Especially you already have another online backup. However, all these assume you have an extra copy right in your Mac.

The chance that all 3 copies destroy at the same time should be very remote.

Anyway, anything in RAID 1 doesn't mean backup x2. The idea of RAID 1 is just to keep the system alive, not an extra backup of the data. For real backup (e.g. a copy in a TC), you can recover the file after you accidently delete one of the copy (e.g. the copy on you Mac). Inside a RAID 1 array, if you delete one copy, the other will automatically be deleted as well. So, it can't serve as an extra backup.

If you want more backup, get yourself another HDD / TC / etc, but not a single backup solution with RAID 1.

Last edited:

andrew5494

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Toronto / The 6
Time Capsule is fine. Especially you already have another online backup. However, all these assume you have an extra copy right in your Mac.

The chance that all 3 copies destroy at the same time should be very remote.

Anyway, anything in RAID 1 doesn't not mean backup x2. The idea of RAID 1 is just to keep the system alive, not an extra backup of the data. For real backup (e.g. a copy in a TC), you can recover the file after you accidently delete one of the copy (e.g. the copy on you Mac). Inside a RAID 1 array, if you delete one copy, the other will automatically be deleted as well. So, it can't serve as an extra backup.

If you want more backup, get yourself another HDD / TC / etc, but not a single backup solution with RAID 1.
There is an option with having a 2 bay to have the both formatted in raid 0 instead whcih would be equal to having two backups. Im still leaning towards this option

garysauctions

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
Huh thats a little more costltly
And the reviews dont look that great.
Its really that bad to get a WD?
Afterall if one drive fails dont you have another one to rely on?
http://www.amazon.ca/OWC-Thunderbolt-Enclosure-independent-OWCMETB7DK0GB/dp/B00HYH6WWW

Read the reviews closely to see if there is a trend.

When using any RAID system it would be advisable to go with only enterprise rated drives.

We are going Hitachi Ultrastar drives because of their rated MTBF and 5 Year Warranty.

Enclosure choice is being made and we are leaning towards OWC and Thunderbolt ONLY interface.

I learned the lessons of drive enclosures with multiple interfaces ( WD was one of the worse offenders ). WD drives were OK but their multi-interface enclosures could not be trusted.

The issue with drive selection in RAID array isn't so much in the daily use ...... but the hard use one will see in the event of having to do a volume rebuild.

The OWC Thunderbay is nothing more than a 2 or 4 bay enclosure with only Thunderbolt for the interface. All RAID aspects are managed by a software application. ( SoftRAID )

In fact with SoftRAID the drives in the array do not need to be in the same enclosure ...... you could have two enclosures, and mirror one to the other. This way if one enclosure power supply dies .... the other one is there.

I'm still researching my solution but for now it looks like the OWC Thunderbay 4 Drive Enclosure with Hitachi Ultrastar Drives.

I will buy my OWC unit from Micro Center and opt for their 3 Year Replacement plan.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
There is an option with having a 2 bay to have the both formatted in raid 0 instead whcih would be equal to having two backups. Im still leaning towards this option

Don't use RAID 0. It will stripe the data between the two drives to increase speed, but it doubles the failure rate since only one of the drives has to fail in order for you to lose your data. It definitely doesn't make two backups.

Relying on RAID for a backup solution is not usually a good idea. Just use two separate, high quality backup drives.

andrew5494

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Toronto / The 6
Read the reviews closely to see if there is a trend.

When using any RAID system it would be advisable to go with only enterprise rated drives.

We are going Hitachi Ultrastar drives because of their rated MTBF and 5 Year Warranty.

Enclosure choice is being made and we are leaning towards OWC and Thunderbolt ONLY interface.

I learned the lessons of drive enclosures with multiple interfaces ( WD was one of the worse offenders ). WD drives were OK but their multi-interface enclosures could not be trusted.

The issue with drive selection in RAID array isn't so much in the daily use ...... but the hard use one will see in the event of having to do a volume rebuild.

The OWC Thunderbay is nothing more than a 2 or 4 bay enclosure with only Thunderbolt for the interface. All RAID aspects are managed by a software application. ( SoftRAID )

In fact with SoftRAID the drives in the array do not need to be in the same enclosure ...... you could have two enclosures, and mirror one to the other. This way if one enclosure power supply dies .... the other one is there.

I'm still researching my solution but for now it looks like the OWC Thunderbay 4 Drive Enclosure with Hitachi Ultrastar Drives.

I will buy my OWC unit from Micro Center and opt for their 3 Year Replacement plan.
So what are you trying to say bought the OWC enclosure?
That all of the reviews are just people trying to bring their sales down?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I can't stress this enough - the "Best" backup solution is one that includes off-site storage. Your "backup" is useless if both your backup and the device that is backed up are in the building when it burns down or floods. I know, that's a bit extreme, but this IS a "disaster recovery plan", right?

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
I can't stress this enough - the "Best" backup solution is one that includes off-site storage. Your "backup" is useless if both your backup and the device that is backed up are in the building when it burns down or floods. I know, that's a bit extreme, but this IS a "disaster recovery plan", right?

+1

I keep one Time Machine backup on a HDD connected to my AirPort Extreme and one on a Thunderbolt SSD. Then I keep all of my important documents, pictures, and folders on a shockproof/waterproof durable Flash drive that's almost always on my person as well as backed up on cloud storage.

andrew5494

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Toronto / The 6
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.