Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paul-the-fifth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2019
i want to add an occasional use external dvd/cd drive to my new iMac. 2019 model. I don’t want to spend a fortune for the odd few times I need one. Any recommendations for a budget drive?

Paul-the-fifth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2019
Check with Amazon.com. They have a large variety of external DVD drives from inexpensive to more expensive.
Thanks. My problem is not all are compatible with the latest iMac models. I was hoping to draw on the experiences of members who have made recent purchases

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Most external USB connected DVD drives are going to be compatible. Usually they're USB 2 with some that advertise as USB 3. Both types will work with your iMac. I currently have a inexpensive Samsung and a bit more expensive LG. Both work great with my 2017 27" 5K iMac.

Paul-the-fifth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2019
Most external USB connected DVD drives are going to be compatible. Usually they're USB 2 with some that advertise as USB 3. Both types will work with your iMac. I currently have a inexpensive Samsung and a bit more expensive LG. Both work great with my 2017 27" 5K iMac.
Useful info. Thanks

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
I've not used it yet for writing but it has worked for ripping CDs into iTunes. The Apple USB Super Drive is a good value IMHO. Also have a LG Ultra Slim Portable Blu-ray writer purchased from Best Buy. With the right software you can view Blu-ray movies. But it requires 2 USB type-A ports (USB 2 or 3). Says it is Mac compatible right on the box. It reads the BR discs but can write to DVD (and also CD probably).

Paul-the-fifth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2019
I've not used it yet for writing but it has worked for ripping CDs into iTunes. The Apple USB Super Drive is a good value IMHO. Also have a LG Ultra Slim Portable Blu-ray writer purchased from Best Buy. With the right software you can view Blu-ray movies. But it requires 2 USB type-A ports (USB 2 or 3). Says it is Mac compatible right on the box. It reads the BR discs but can write to DVD (and also CD probably).
Thanks. Looks like I have plenty to choose from.

Reactions: TonyK

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
I The Apple USB Super Drive is a good value IMHO.

Another very happy customer in which over the last four(4) years have bought two(2) Refurbished Apple Superdrives from the Apple Online Store in which I have burned over five hundred(500) copies of my extensive DVD original movie collection. Both of these superdrives are used on a weekly basis.

Also, DVD Ripper Pro is the excellent application that i am using in burning my DVD's.

Last edited:

Paul-the-fifth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2019
Another very happy customer in which over the last four(4) years have bought two(2) Refurbished Apple Superdrives from the Apple Online Store in which I have burned over five hundred(500) copies of my extensive DVD original movie collection. Both of these superdrives are used on a weekly basis.

Also, DVD Ripper Pro is the excellent application that i am using in burning my DVD's.
That’s interesting tonyk. I hadn’t thought of refurbished kit. Good thought.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Be aware that the Apple SuperDrive (by design) works on some Macs, but will not (easily) work on others.

If you need a low-cost DVD/CD writer, buy a 3rd-party USB drive. Lower cost and the same functionality.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Be aware that the Apple SuperDrive (by design) works on some Macs, but will not (easily) work on others.

If you need a low-cost DVD/CD writer, buy a 3rd-party USB drive. Lower cost and the same functionality.

Which makes will it not work with?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Which makes will it not work with?

It's spelled out very clearly by Apple: All Macs that have a built in optical drive. The latest Apple SuperDrive is designed to work with those Macs that do not have a built in optical drive. I'm not sure if the older (previous model) Apple SuperDrive behaves the same way or not.

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
It's spelled out very clearly by Apple: All Macs that have a built in optical drive. The latest Apple SuperDrive is designed to work with those Macs that do not have a built in optical drive. I'm not sure if the older (previous model) Apple SuperDrive behaves the same way or not.

My AppleSuperDrive(s) works with My MM(Late 2012) and MM(2014) which both do not have built-in optical drives.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
My AppleSuperDrive(s) works with My MM(Late 2012) and MM(2014) which both do not have built-in optical drives.

That's correct and exactly what we are saying. The latest Apple SuperDrive is designed to only work with those Macs which do not have a built in optical drive.

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
Used my original Apple SuperDrive with my 2018 15” MBPro. a couple of weeks ago to load music.
Just needed to use a USB to USBC adapter.

All ready answered :)

Paul-the-fifth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2019
Used my original Apple SuperDrive with my 2018 15” MBPro. a couple of weeks ago to load music.
Just needed to use a USB to USBC adapter.

All ready answered :)
Thanks. I’m sorted now - bought an apple SuperDrive (cheaper in John Lewis)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.