Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerms13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2018
Hey guys! I am a graphic designer (mostly basic Adobe CC programs like PS, Illustrator, Indesign, and I'll dabble in the others). I was looking to replace my iMac with the newer iMac that was totally going to come out at this last October event. Obviously this didn't happen. I badly need a new system, and am kind of lost when it comes to the new stuff. So many options, so much information. I am considering a Mac Mini with the following:
  • 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7
  • 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 (I'll upgrade this later as budget allows)
  • 512GB SSD storage
  • 10 Gigabit Ethernet
Is there anything you would change about this configuration for Graphic Design purposes? Am I overdoing or neglecting anything that I shouldn't?

I need reasonably priced recommendations for the following:
- eGPU (I need one, right?)
- monitor in the 28-38 inch range (Is there anything in the $200-300 range, or is this unrealistic?)
- a good budget external SSD

Some things to note:
- I'm not a big gamer
- I don't know much about newer monitors or eGPUs
- I'm on a serious budget, and just want something that will be solid, reliable, affordable and won't be obsolete in two years.

Thanks in advance guys!

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
Everyone's workflow is different so no hard answers. What is your current iMac not doing? What version and we can compare graphic specs and power to the new mini. What kind of resolution are you looking for? How accurate does the monitor's color need to be?

degille

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
I would invest in a display calibrator. They really help for color accuracy and bring out the best in “cheap” monitors - calibrate with displayCal.

eGPU would be better but isn’t necessary for those programs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.