Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Anybody here have/try the Best Buy Rocketfish carbon fiber tripod?
Just $149, I've have one for 2 weeks and am on fencepost about it.
I clearly need a more capable tripod than my current Manfrotto 785B Modo https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/410097/
The Rocketfish seems very-very stable, is more than tall enough for me (I'm 5'9"), but is also tall folded. Not really a lightweight, but considering the 3-way pan head weight is included 5.8 lbs...
  • Product Height 28.7" - 65.5"
  • Product Weight 5.8 lbs.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...63119&id=1218093003220#tabbed-customerreviews
9363119_sa.jpg

while I'm asking, I've had the Manfrotto 785B Modo pistol grip for 2+ years now and that seem "gimmicky" in a way, and never enough positive retention.

So, Ball head vs 3 way head pros/cons?
If you have had both what do you prefer and why?
-3-way heavier but more precise for movement along an axis you set-up.
-While Ball head is lighter, quick and gets the job done but hard to move in one axis for specific shots?

Thx for bandwidth/simple feedback.

Bottom line, my budget is $250-$275, that's it.
If I can I'll swing to Camera Mart in Pontiac or Adrians in Troy, but so busy at work and weekends packed hard to do real world grab /feel/test sampling.....

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I had a Velbon with a three way head for 20 years and it always drove me nuts. I kept forgetting which knob/lever went in the direction I wanted. I now have the Manfrotto 755XB with the Manfrotto 488 ball head. It's super stable (and heavy) and the ball head is wonderful. Very easy to use. The 190 is a good tripod to look at. I don't know if you included it in your comparison or not.

Edit: RocketFish is owned by Best Buy. I had a bluetooth keyboard from them and it died in three months. I tried to return it to BB and they told me they didn't return low-cost items. That was only for big screen TVs and such. They told me to call RocketFish. RocketFish told me to take it to BB...

Dale

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I had a Velbon with a three way head for 20 years and it always drove me nuts. I kept forgetting which knob/lever went in the direction I wanted. I now have the Manfrotto 755XB with the Manfrotto 488 ball head. It's super stable (and heavy) and the ball head is wonderful. Very easy to use. The 190 is a good tripod to look at. I don't know if you included it in your comparison or not.

Edit: RocketFish is owned by Best Buy. I had a bluetooth keyboard from them and it died in three months. I tried to return it to BB and they told me they didn't return low-cost items. That was only for big screen TVs and such. They told me to call RocketFish. RocketFish told me to take it to BB...

Dale

A good tripod head has a ball head. Forget all the other stuff.

Ok; I hear both of ya.

This ballhead looks awesome, is light, and well...cost more than my total budget, but I'm willing to up it now after doing research.
My budget is now $500-600....and hopefully this will be the "last" tripod I need for 10 years.
http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=7&cat=1&page=1
acratech-ultimate-ballhead.jpg

Acratech Ultimate Ballhead Features
  • Weighs less than 1 lb (.45kg) with quick release clamp.
  • Easily holds over 25 lbs (11.4kg) at any angle.
  • Full movements allow any camera position.
  • Precision C.N.C. machined.
  • Shown with left side controls (right side available).
  • Compatible with Kirk, Arca, R.R.S., and many other QR plates.
  • Beautiful satin black anodized finish.
  • Fits all standard tripods (1/4-20 and 3/8-16 threads).
  • Engraved degree markings.
  • Solid precision feel.
  • Made in U.S.A.
  • Ball will not shift when tightened.
  • Oilless and greaseless ball will not attract or hold dirt and debris.
Plus one of the CF tripod by FEISOL
http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Tripods
CT-3401 Standard Class Tripod
with Optional Center Column Kit

CT3401CM.jpg

= bluntman =

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I bought one of these (from BB) when they were sold as Velbon El Carmagne tripods (carbon legs and magnesium spider/head), it was my first carbon tripod. It was OK, but I couldn't use my heavier equipment with it - the carbon in the legs wasn't that thick and the head was just sloppy (some play even when tightened). After a little bit of use I decided to upgrade to a Induro CT314 carbon legs and a a Gitzo GH1780QR ball head.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Can't go wrong with Feisol or Acratech. I have heard good things from both. Might also want to consider Markins for the ballhead which doesn't have a huge presence here in the US but for those that use them (myself included) they perform superbly.

Ruahrc

P.S. unless you have some specific purpose in mind, I would not bother with the center column. Just mount the ballhead directly onto the platform. Less cost, weight, and complexity. I believe that if you are buying the right sized tripod to begin with, you should not need to extend the center column to get to eye level.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
I use a Manfrotto tripod (also known as "Bogen")

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=manfrotto+tripod&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Great quality tripods.

Take another look at it.

I just ordered a ball head in addition to the fluid head I have. A good ball head costs $119 to $129.

You can get a good set of legs at around $200. (but they don't walk by themselves. You have to carry them ;))

You don't need to spend $ 600, except if you want either a heavier tripod or a particularly light one.

That is, if you have a APS-C or Full Frame DSLR. For a Hasselblad I'd go with something sturdy.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
This ballhead looks awesome, is light, and well...cost more than my total budget, but I'm willing to up it now after doing research.
My budget is now $500-600....and hopefully this will be the "last" tripod I need for 10 years.

The Acratech Original Ballhead IS awesome - I haven't regretted buying it ever. It's light, adjusts quickly (once you get used to its non-standard design), and it holds VERY well.

Personally I paired it with a set of Manfrotto CF legs that also cost around $300 - the whole kit is under 4 pounds. Very strong and lightweight.

BTW in your calculations remember you have to purchase a plate for your camera. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.