Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
Normally I never buy extended warranties. The only one I have ever bought has been on my house and MacBook. I bought a Canon XS and impulsively pulled the trigger on a 2yr plan for 69.99 that allegedly covers replacement due to physical damage. Should I return this plan or is it a good deal on a camera?

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
If it means you'll take your camera out in situations you otherwise wouldn't because of fear of damaging it, those pictures are likely worth the $70. Just read the contract carefully to make sure you're covered. I know I've left my camera behind because I was worried for my substantial investment in lenses.

Also, if you spend decent money on a lens, put a UV filter on it as soon as you pull it out of the box.

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
If it means you'll take your camera out in situations you otherwise wouldn't because of fear of damaging it, those pictures are likely worth the $70. Just read the contract carefully to make sure you're covered. I know I've left my camera behind because I was worried for my substantial investment in lenses.

Also, if you spend decent money on a lens, put a UV filter on it as soon as you pull it out of the box.

Already on all three of my lenses!

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
I have a Nikon D40 with the stock 18-55mm lens. Do I need a UV filter? What does it do?
It's mostly an insurance policy, although the view on it is very divided. Some argue it's good to protect the front element from dust and potential smudges, while others argue you're betraying your lens by putting yet another piece of glass in front of it. If you get a good enough filter, it shouldn't be a problem, but that's the gist of the argument.

UV filters can also cause ghosting, which is something else to look out for.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I have a Nikon D40 with the stock 18-55mm lens. Do I need a UV filter? What does it do?

Degrade the image, mostly. There are plenty of threads that debate the need to use a filter to protect the lens. You may want to search for those and see if they answer your questions. Unless you're bored.

To the OP's original question, your homeowner's insurance might offer some coverage for your camera stuff. It would likely be worth a call to your agent to ask.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
You'll most likely be looking at long turn around for repair. I would skip it. My old man was stuck with out his laptop for 3 months because best buy as "fixing it".

I would say never give any money to best buy, but if you do, don't spend it on any add on offered by best buy.

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
You'll most likely be looking at long turn around for repair. I would skip it. My old man was stuck with out his laptop for 3 months because best buy as "fixing it".

I would say never give any money to best buy, but if you do, don't spend it on any add on offered by best buy.

That is what I was afraid of hearing....The only reason I bought the camera there was because they price matched Costco for $449 on the XS.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

The 18-55 lens is worth about $75. That's what it would cost you to replace it.

The idea of filter is that in some odd cases when you might have an accident the filter might protect the lens from damage. But in the most common case (dropping the lens) the filter offers no protection. But if you happen to brush the lens on a sharp hard object the filter would take the scratch, not the lens.

A GOOD filter is not cheap. Good ones start at about 1/2 the price of your lens.

If you just paid for physical damage insurance then you don't need anything just let them replace the lens after you drop it.

If you had a $2,000 lens the salesmant would say "do you want to risk a $2,000 lens? Buy this filter, then nothing bad can happen to that lens." But you then might ask Let's say I did scratch the lens, what does it cost to have the fron glass element replaced. About $250. So you are not protecting the $2,000 lens you are protecting a $250 chunk of glass with a $80 filter. Now as a gambler you have almost all the information you need. The next part is what are the chances of scratching the lens? Ask around. I don't know of even one case. But I do know of several lens dropped in water and on concrete.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I use filter cause if the front element is dirty, I don't need to rush for a blower and a cloth to clean the front element, I just use tissue paper or something, of course that if the situation demands it.

If I own good lenses, the only the best filter will be on it, my 100mm f/2.8 macro uses a Hoya Pro1D filter, when I first got this filter, I was shocked cause it was very clear cause if there is no light reflecting from it, it will seem like you just bought a ring with no glass in it.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I use filter cause if the front element is dirty, I don't need to rush for a blower and a cloth to clean the front element, I just use tissue paper or something, of course that if the situation demands it.

I would use the same care to clean the filter as you would the lens, unless you don't care about damaging the coatings on the filter. If you damage the filter, then we're back to the 'it degrades image quality' problem.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Normally I never buy extended warranties. The only one I have ever bought has been on my house and MacBook. I bought a Canon XS and impulsively pulled the trigger on a 2yr plan for 69.99 that allegedly covers replacement due to physical damage. Should I return this plan or is it a good deal on a camera?

You should see what your insurance agent can do for you. These policies are typically "inland marine" polices- read the BB stuff and see if your agent can beat the price or offer a sweeter deal that covers more. Travellers has an awesome "personal professional property" policy that covers cameras, laptops and has liability insurance too as an example.

neil1980

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
I've always put a UV filter on literally as soon as the lens was out of the box.

Yeah I guess the chances of scratching a lens are remote but I do a fair bit of motorsport photography so with the added gravel and dust thrown into the factor I personally feel its worth it for piece of mind.

If I was just taking photos in a studio all day however...

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
I have had nothing but great experiences and quick turn arounds on my camera warranties from them. One time where I did actually have physical damage (i dropped it) they replaced it on the spot. Ended up with the newer model. $70 bucks ain't bad. You will have opinions either way. Some pople love the service and some people do not. Works the same way as everything in life. Hell some people would probably have told you to not buy the camera you did. In the end you should be the one who decides.

Kevin

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I would use the same care to clean the filter as you would the lens, unless you don't care about damaging the coatings on the filter. If you damage the filter, then we're back to the 'it degrades image quality' problem.
Yup, you are right, I noticed this when I was cleaning my filter, if you don't clean it properly, its like you can see a layer on the filter reflecting unevenly, am I right?

Is there any pocket blower and brush or something? I find it troublesome have to reach out my bag to get a blower and go through another pocket just to get a cloth to clean it.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Yup, you are right, I noticed this when I was cleaning my filter, if you don't clean it properly, its like you can see a layer on the filter reflecting unevenly, am I right?

Is there any pocket blower and brush or something? I find it troublesome have to reach out my bag to get a blower and go through another pocket just to get a cloth to clean it.

Use a lens pen.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

The optical coating on a filter is literally a small fraction of wavelenght of light thick. That is how they work. They are called "interference filters" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_filter ) So when you coat a filter with oil, from fingers, even the thinist coating pretty much stops the anti-reflective coating from working. You can try and clean with a micro fiber cloth but eventually even that will abrade the coating. The coating thickness is literally measured on an atomic scale and you can rub a coating off the glass.

The good news is that you bought the filter because it is expendable. When it stops working you can replace it. That's what it is there for.

A good way to test a filter to see if it is good in the first place, before you buy it or to check if it is still working correctly is to stand indoors with your back to a window (or other bright source of light) and try to use the filter as a mirror to see outside. If the filter works as a mirror you don't want it on your camera. The glass itself should be hard to see.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
there only two reasons to use a filter:
1. complete weathersealing. only applies to certain professional lenses on (semi-)professional bodies.
2. protect from flying debris on the same axis as the lens

if you aren't at the beach or a racetrack or anywhere where there is debris or liquids flying around regularly, just use a hood. they also inhibit dog snouts and people poking the lens, if you're afraid of that as well. instead of buying UV filters for every lens you have, save it and get something more useful, like a polarizer or insurance or a hood.

back to the OP: i would lose the warranty and just insure it.

CATinHAWAII

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
--== Hawaii ! ==--
That is what I was afraid of hearing....The only reason I bought the camera there was because they price matched Costco for $449 on the XS.

What??? Best Buy, gives you a whooping 14 days to return the item, and certain returns they charge some sort of fee,,, (up to 20%)

Costco, gives you a WHOLE YEAR!

Wake up! Don't give to Best Buy unless they have somethi g no one else has!

Good camera though,,,

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
What??? Best Buy, gives you a whooping 14 days to return the item, and certain returns they charge some sort of fee,,, (up to 20%)

Costco, gives you a WHOLE YEAR!

Wake up! Don't give to Best Buy unless they have somethi g no one else has!

Good camera though,,,

My Costco membership was expired and when I called the local club to check availability they said all the surrounding clubs were sold out and backordered a month. Costco's return policy is better, but it is now 90 days

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.