Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Hi,

What would be the best external data drive - for archive / storage / backup - to be used with older macs (2013-2015) ?

*My imac already boots from thunderbolt, think there is an additional thunderport in it (not certain).

Does SSD lose data if it's not connected for a longer time? if so is a HDD better for this exact task?

Cheap is an important keyword here.

I already have a 2000 gb Intenso, but it seems very unstable, makes the computers it's connected to freeze over time and such.

Thnx

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I wonder what would be good cheap brands to look for though?"

I don't know if they're "the cheapest", but I'd be looking at Toshiba and HTSC (Hitachi).

Reactions: Heliotropen

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
"I wonder what would be good cheap brands to look for though?"

I don't know if they're "the cheapest", but I'd be looking at Toshiba and HTSC (Hitachi).
Thank you mate, what about the enclosure?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
For a 2.5" enclosure, I've been using these:

However, if you're going to be using several drives that get swapped around, you might also consider a USB3/SATA "dock". Many available and they're cheap. I would suggest a "one-bay" dock -- the 2-bay docks can be cranky (from reports that I've read).
With a dock, you don't put your drives into "enclosures" -- you just "leave them bare" and slip them into and out of the dock as necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.