Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Just wondered if anyone had any advice on the best camera for my situation.

I go to a lot of music concerts and events and like to get some good shots, I need

something compact (for sneaking in)
something with a large optical zoom (for when I'm in the cheap seats)
something that has a good response (for catching the moment)
and something that does well in dark/artificial light

I'm currently using a Lumix TZ3 which has a great 10x optical zoom, and is nice and compact but the quality of the pictures could be much better.

any advice before I blindly spend more money?
and thanks.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I've never found a compact that took decent pictures at concerts, especially when zoomed in. My guess would be to look for the largest image sensor you can find (as in physical size, not MP) for the best light capturing ability. I have no idea if sizes vary that much among compact P&S cameras though. Good luck.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I've never found a compact that took decent pictures at concerts, especially when zoomed in. My guess would be to look for the largest image sensor you can find (as in physical size, not MP) for the best light capturing ability. I have no idea if sizes vary that much among compact P&S cameras though. Good luck.

The Canon G9 has a large (for a compact camera) sensor. The Leica M8 has a huge sensor, larger than the sensor on most SLRs but it's not cheap.

This type of work really needs an SLR but you can't use those

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The G9 has a "large" sensor, but too many megapixels.

The Fuji F31fd, F30, F20 have half the megapixels with a sensor of the same size. And it's Super CCD, which is very good tech.

But I wouldn't expect too much anyway.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
What you're asking for doesn't exist.

Good luck with that. ;)

not true.
compact p&s cameras with extended optical zooms are available.
it's just about finding the ones with the best sensors and getting the correct iso and aperture settings for each event, I was just enquiring to anyone who had already looked into this.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I took my Canon PowerShot S3 IS to a few concerts, and worked about as well as could be hoped for a PnS camera. Having IS (optical stabilization) is a must for those low light situations.

Here is an example of what it can do in relatively good light. This is Bill Nershi (formerly of the String Cheese Incident) playing with his new band:

HonkeytonkHomeslice1.jpg

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
I agree the Canon's are great, but neither a G or S is easy to "sneak". If you need a good low light zoom, you will have trouble with the speed of compacts. As you zoom the max aperture decreases and therefore the shutter speed increases. The TZ3 is going to have the largest aperture of any compact (that small) with a decent zoom (most 35-110s are going to be f5.2 and that means yours a full stop faster). The TZ4/5 gives you better low light shots (better NR system). You may also consider the Fuji F100. Its not going to have as fast as an aperture, but you can get 1-2 stops cleaner ISO (1600 MAY look OK if viewed at a smaller size). Those are the ONLY 2 I'd recommend. Good luck and stay legal!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.