Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoePerchard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
Hey everyone,

I have a 2017 13 inch MacBook Pro with the base i5 but 16gb ram at the moment... but in the future, what would be the best budget configuration for a MacBook (pro or air) for movie editing? Is it better to spend more on RAM or on a bigger processor?

Thanks

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
We need more details on the specifics of the type of editing you are doing and the software you will be using.

For example, if its 1080p iPhone clips you can do basic editing in iMovie on an iPad. If its 4k footage you plan on color grading and adding effects you'll want to really step it up.

I will mention, if you are serious about video editing using professional software (Adobe, Resolve, FCPX) I would consider a MBP with a dedicated GPU (15"). Which GPU is of less concern than just having it. It will help move the graphic load off the CPU so it can keep processing data foreground and background.

16gb of RAM is generally pretty good. But that depends on your projects (resolution) and what you are doing (effects).

CPU, will determine your export times. Sometimes its more of a matter of testing your patience then whether you need a faster CPU or not. During export I usually leave and do something else. But you might have deadlines, don't know.

JoePerchard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
What kind of movies do you plan to edit?
1080p ?
4k ?
I plan on doing 4K videos...
[doublepost=1557616564][/doublepost]
We need more details on the specifics of the type of editing you are doing and the software you will be using.

For example, if its 1080p iPhone clips you can do basic editing in iMovie on an iPad. If its 4k footage you plan on color grading and adding effects you'll want to really step it up.

I will mention, if you are serious about video editing using professional software (Adobe, Resolve, FCPX) I would consider a MBP with a dedicated GPU (15"). Which GPU is of less concern than just having it. It will help move the graphic load off the CPU so it can keep processing data foreground and background.

16gb of RAM is generally pretty good. But that depends on your projects (resolution) and what you are doing (effects).

CPU, will determine your export times. Sometimes its more of a matter of testing your patience then whether you need a faster CPU or not. During export I usually leave and do something else. But you might have deadlines, don't know.
Thanks I do also have a low budget so I would be choosing a 13 inch without Touch Bar and the choice would be between upgrading the ram or the processor... I am using premiere pro with 4K video.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I plan on doing 4K videos...
[doublepost=1557616564][/doublepost]
Thanks I do also have a low budget so I would be choosing a 13 inch without Touch Bar and the choice would be between upgrading the ram or the processor... I am using premiere pro with 4K video.

I hate to even recommend anything since I've never attempted that config in Premiere. That said those CPU's aren't worlds different (dual core), so I would get the RAM.

I would also use an older version of PrPro. You are going to be below the minimum specs for the latest....
Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 8.24.57 PM.png

Honestly I would consider a refurb, higher end previous year and/or continuing to save up. Depending on the version of PrPro you are dipping below minimum requirements. I got an Apple refurb 2018 13" w/ TB and it looked brand new, and its been great.

Whatever you do, good luck!

JoePerchard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
I hate to even recommend anything since I've never attempted that config in Premiere. That said those CPU's aren't worlds different (dual core), so I would get the RAM.

I would also use an older version of PrPro. You are going to be below the minimum specs for the latest....
View attachment 836487

Honestly I would consider a refurb, higher end previous year and/or continuing to save up. Depending on the version of PrPro you are dipping below minimum requirements. I got an Apple refurb 2018 13" w/ TB and it looked brand new, and its been great.

Whatever you do, good luck!
Thanks for your help!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
4k video editing on a relatively base model MBP 13" is probably going to be tough going.
Not saying that it can't be done.

You should be looking at a 27" iMac, with an i7 or i9 inside.

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Based on your specs you probably aren’t doing anything heavy right? I make trip montages. I can actually use my iPad Pro to do 4K editing. I assume nothing heavy because you’re using a dual core cpu.

The most worthwhile upgrade you can get is cpu. I think you can get away with 8gb. Storage would be where I’d focus. The base 13 touch 2018 all have 4 core cpus. That will cut down on your rendering times significantly.

JoePerchard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2017
Based on your specs you probably aren’t doing anything heavy right? I make trip montages. I can actually use my iPad Pro to do 4K editing. I assume nothing heavy because you’re using a dual core cpu.

The most worthwhile upgrade you can get is cpu. I think you can get away with 8gb. Storage would be where I’d focus. The base 13 touch 2018 all have 4 core cpus. That will cut down on your rendering times significantly.
So what would your recommendation be? Go with a different MacBook? Or iPad Pro? Or just stick with the 13 inch... considering my budget...

teohyc

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Hey everyone,

I have a 2017 13 inch MacBook Pro with the base i5 but 16gb ram at the moment... but in the future, what would be the best budget configuration for a MacBook (pro or air) for movie editing? Is it better to spend more on RAM or on a bigger processor?

Thanks

The logical upgrade would be to quad core processors which will cut down video export time significantly. 16GB RAM is recommended as the OS, apps, and the opened files all take up RAM.

Your current dual-core MBP may not be as fast compared to quad core obviously when it comes to exporting videos, but you can always let the laptop run overnight if need be. If you're doing time sensitive work, then sure, upgrade.

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
So what would your recommendation be? Go with a different MacBook? Or iPad Pro? Or just stick with the 13 inch... considering my budget...
Quad Core i5 if you can afford it. Keep an eye on Best Buy sales. Check daily "keep an eye on" that is. I was able to get my MBP for 1399- 1499 but had a $100 off coupon from BBY. That's the quad core touch i5, 8GB RAM, 512gb SSD edition. Trading off RAM for storage is better IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.