Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Hi,

I have a 24 inch ACD (the older one with aluminium bezel). Ever since I have had it I've used it on the standard 'Cinema HD Display' profile. However, I am not sure i am getting the best from the screen.

When I sit my 15" MacBook Pro (Color LCD profile) next to the ACD, the ACD seems that the colours are duller and less vivid than the MBP.

Are there any pre-set profiles which I can download and install to get the best from the monitor. Is there a profile which is considered the standard for LCD's? I would rather not calibrate it myself as I am slightly colour blind!

Thanks for any help.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
calibrating a display is to make it show accurate colors, not vivid. if your laptop has a glossy screen, that also has something to do with it.

either way, you can still calibrate your monitor even if you're slightly color blind. download supercal and use that - you're just matching the bottom rectangle to the top, whatever color you happen to see it as. and set gamma to 2.2.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
calibrating a display is to make it show accurate colors, not vivid. if your laptop has a glossy screen, that also has something to do with it.

either way, you can still calibrate your monitor even if you're slightly color blind. download supercal and use that - you're just matching the bottom rectangle to the top, whatever color you happen to see it as. and set gamma to 2.2.

cheers. will give it a try.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
cheers. will give it a try.
Starting 10.5, Mac OS X came with pretty decent built-in calibration tool. Of course, it is not a substitute for true hardware calibrator (e.g., Huey Pro, Spyder3 Pro), which you should consider if you are serious about profiling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.