Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrrawuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2022
I have about 1.5tb of combined files of photos/docs/music and general stuff on 2x USB drives.
What is the best duplicate software? Google had me going aroubd in circles.

I tried Dupeguru, but it seems to get stuck after 20 mins.
CC cleaner was utter garbage and very hard to remove. It also took 12 hours to do NADDA :)

Any tried and tested that are GUI as I'm not a command line type of guy.
Paid or free apps. If it works i don't mind paying.
Thanks.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
I have used several over the years, but none recently however I see in the App Store that Duplicate File Finder, and Gemini 2 are still rate very high.

mrrawuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2022
I have used several over the years, but none recently however I see in the App Store that Duplicate File Finder, and Gemini 2 are still rate very high.
I take the reviews with a pinch of salt. Looking for input from real users . Yes like you all the stuff I knew before is from 2011 to 2015.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
I take the reviews with a pinch of salt. Looking for input from real users . Yes like you all the stuff I knew before is from 2011 to 2015.
To be clear I used both Duplicate file finder, and Gemini 2 in around 2019-2020 when I updated my systems. Both did the job very well. Especially given my main system had a total of 6 drives with ~16 TB of data.

mrrawuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2022
To be clear I used both Duplicate file finder, and Gemini 2 in around 2019-2020 when I updated my systems. Both did the job very well. Especially given my main system had a total of 6 drives with ~16 TB of data.
Thanks for clarifying that, most helpful .

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I find Gemini 2 more user friendly than duplicate file finder , just my opinion

mrrawuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2022
I used Duplicate file finder, and it was not too bad, but I had to run it multiple times for a 1.5tb data drive. It missed files numerous times hence I had to re run it.

I have now managed to get rid of multiple duplicates though.
Thanks to all for their input.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
Does Duplicate file finder work for photos too. The duplicate photo finder in Sonoma is not working. I was hoping to get rid of many un-needed photos. Photo sweeper was suggested.

mrrawuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2022
Yes it can scan just photos if needed. They do a full free trial too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.