Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The_MacWarrior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Hello all,

Looking for the best email app that is feature-rich with an iOS companion (if possible) for iPhone and iPad. Security is a real concern. Heard that Spark may be a security risk but don't know if that is true or not. Your thoughts.

Looking for suggestions and what you are using along with your opinion on the email app that you are using. Apple Mail unfortunately does not have enough extra and inter useable features for me. Currently testing AirMail and it's OK.

***Wanting to take the leap to a new email app within the next 2-3 days if possible.***

Just to be clear: I am not associated with any apps and I am not a developer looking for app improvements.

I appreciate your help and Thank You! in advance.

The MacWarrior

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
As @hg.wells says, it’s difficult to make any recommendations without knowing what sort of features you’re looking for: for example, do you need Gmail support, Exchange Support, IMAP support? Do you want a unified inbox and other folders, do you want built in cloud storage support, etc etc.

I used Outlook for years but switched back to Apple Mail because while it isn’t perfect, it has enough functionality for me to manage my email across 5 accounts (including 2 office 365 accounts, gmail and outlook) and integrates better with my contacts and native calendar

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
It's all subjective. What's best for one person may not be the best for others.

I use Outlook, mainly because my work email is through M365 and my personal email is through outlook.com. The UI is very clean and simple. Microsoft recently changed Outlook for Mac to be free...you no longer need a M365 account/license to use it.

The_MacWarrior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
what “extra” features are you looking for? That would really help with any recommendations.
Things like Unsend, other applications integration, time to send, etc...

Gmail and Outlook support would be great also. Rules, widgets, plugins, AppleScript support, Templates, Filters, group and multi-send.

Possibly some AI support but not critical.

Cloud and local emails simultaneously.

The_MacWarrior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Ended up with AirMail. Can't do Spark because of their terrible security giving email info to other companies which is totally outrageous.

Reactions: H_D

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I used Apple Mail for a few years and just couldn't get used to how long it took to fix some bugs, also I had an issue where it was clearing out emails for whatever reason. So I went back to webmail for my email. Having had Outlook corrupt my PST file beyond repair several times (and once recently with W11...) - I'm done with email programs. Webmail only for me.

It was a tossup between Fastmail and Proton Mail for me - ended up going Fastmail.

Sounds like you're using some heavy duty app features - widgets, plugins, script support, etc. Looking forward to hearing the Airmail review after the honeymoon period is over :D

polemarxos

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2023
I used to use Spark like many others but since they are forcing Spark Desktop (v3) which is a downgrade in many ways, I had to find something else. Canary Mail (part of Setapp) is where I've landed. It's not as great as Spark but it's been getting better over the last few months. It's also been quite reliable for me.

Sadly, it lacks some of the features you've mentioned like AppleScript support, integration with other apps and others. Finally, although it's a subscription, they offer a lifetime upgrade for a reasonable price (I think it's like £99.99 in the UK for both the mac and iOS apps).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.