Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
i have been looking for a flash diffuser and was wondering what people thought are the best ones. I have heard a lot about gary fong's work but i was just curious as to what other reviews i could get.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
i have been looking for a flash diffuser and was wondering what people thought are the best ones. I have heard a lot about gary fong's work but i was just curious as to what other reviews i could get.

There is no "best". Which to use depends on the location and if you need to be walking around or if you are shooting from a tripod. And then if you are walking around do you have an 8 or 9 foot light colored ceiling or maybe you are inside a convention hall with a 50 foot dark ceiling. "best" also depends on the subject and how directional and hard or soft you want the light. So you have to specify the conditions. If you have the low ceiling and a close by back and side walls then it best to take advantage of these. You'd resort to a sto-fen or the like in a more open space. On a tripod then you can use a big sheets of white foam core or umbrellas

Buy a 1 quart or larger white plastic milk container, after it's empty cut the top off, point your strobe strait up and rubber band the empty white plastic jug to the strobe. Rig it so the flash illuminates the inside of the milk jug. Bigger jugs are better. This is the best defuser if measured in terms of "bang per buck". I'd say use that setup until you find something better.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
When I forget my diffuser, I usually have a couple of spare white notecards with rubberbands as a backup. Not as effective, but cheap, and extremely portable.

Col127

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2003
i've been reading that the gary fong lightspheres are the best. i'm probably going to pick one up myself :)

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
do both the stofen and gary fong lightsphere II have pretty much similar results in the same situations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.