Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evanp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2018
I'm looking to have an alternative to my nearly 5lb MacBook that I can have in my bag most days to sit down someplace and do some writing, so my main concerns are total weight (even a little more goes a long way on your back all day) and probably how it handles bright light situations. But obviously I should also consider support longevity and I want a keyboard case for it.
Here's a breakdown of my choices:

Air 2 16GB (Nearly new condition, has LTE I don't need)
- $45 less
- anti-glare coating and laminated display (how much stock should I put in this?)
- compatible and low price Anker case weighs nearly half what I've found for the other iPad (about .8lbs)

iPad 32GB (2017)
- $40 more but newer chipset, bigger storage
- 25% brighter and oleophobic coating
- good cases are mostly more expensive and havent found one close to 1lb (mostly near 1.5lbs)

Never owned a tablet before. Thanks for any suggestions!

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
The main advantage to the Air 2, IMO, is that it is the thinnest and lightest of iPads. Yes, the laminated display might be nice in some situations, but I don't think it is going to be your deal breaker. The 16GB of storage might be your biggest concern, but if you are cloud dependent and/or don't need large files like movies on your iPad, the storage probably won't be an issue.

I think you'll be pretty happy with the iPad in general. There's a lot of utility to be had with one in your home as well.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I’ve only owned one Mac tablet. The iPad 2017. I read my school books augment with a keyboard for homework and do so many more amazing things on it. I’ve blasted through most of the storage but it does so much. I think the iPad. It’s light very light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.