Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thephantompain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
Hi. My 5GB free iCloud storage is about to run out. What are my options for apps that automatically backup my photos to the cloud AND not delete my photos when I delete the photos from my phone? Thanks

SpecB

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2021
Jamaica
Hi. My 5GB free iCloud storage is about to run out. What are my options for apps that automatically backup my photos to the cloud AND not delete my photos when I delete the photos from my phone? Thanks
I have a Microsoft 365 subscription which includes 1TB of cloud storage (OneDrive) so that was easily my alternative.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It’s only $0.99 cents a month to upgrade iCloud storage to 50 GB. Is that really too much?
Don’t use iCloud Photos. It’s kinda convenient but it’s also a trap.

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
I still backup my phone to my computer via itunes. Yup still works for me after all these years and it is free. Not the most convenient of course

thephantompain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
I have a Microsoft 365 subscription which includes 1TB of cloud storage (OneDrive) so that was easily my alternative.
Does it auto sync the iPhone photos? Does it delete photos you’ve deleted on your phone? Thanks

thephantompain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
I still backup my phone to my computer via itunes. Yup still works for me after all these years and it is free. Not the most convenient of course
Yeah I’ve owned an iPhone a lifetime ago. That’s what I did, but I found the “backups” of my iPhone are not “readable”. Like my photos are arranged in random F01, E03, etc folders inside a DCIM folder. I don’t mind doing it the “long” way, but are the folders and structure still the same as how it was when I had an iPhone? Like your backed up photos aren’t readable (or at least not easily accessible) using the Windows File Explorer?

thephantompain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
It’s only $0.99 cents a month to upgrade iCloud storage to 50 GB. Is that really too much?
Don’t use iCloud Photos. It’s kinda convenient but it’s also a trap.
Not so much the cost. By trap, you mean once I’m deep into the ecosystem, it’s hard to leave? What do you use to backup your phone/photos?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I’m not a fan of hoarding thousands of photos on my phone. I frequently delete old photos that no longer interest me.
So copying photos over to a computer for backup isn’t too much of a chore for me to do a couple times a year. I just use a file transfer app and send them to a folder on my Mac. The same could be done with a windows computer.
Only downside to that is you lose your phone album structure- have to recreate them on the computer if they’re important

SpecB

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2021
Jamaica
Does it auto sync the iPhone photos? Does it delete photos you’ve deleted on your phone? Thanks
Once you open OneDrive the photos will upload automatically. It doesn't remove them if deleted from the Photos gallery on the iPhone. I'm still experimenting (Checking for an auto/sync upload setting) as this is my fifth day with the iPhone after using Android for years; in which the photos would auto upload to OneDrive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.