Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dejected

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2019
Hi
I use my phone for approximately 9 hours a day ..
I wonder which iphone is the best for my situation and won’t hurt my eyes ?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hi
I use my phone for approximately 9 hours a day ..
I wonder which iphone is the best for my situation and won’t hurt my eyes ?

But you don’t stare at your iPhone continuously for nine hours, obviously you maybe want to consider a larger display (Plus/Max). But something else you can do, is enlarge the text on your iPhone, that way you don’t have to look at it so closely.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
7+ if you're on a budget or 8+ if you can spend a few extra bucks. The LCD is by far the easiest to view. It doesn't pop like oled, but it also doenst have any pwm.

Reactions: jeyf

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
What's your budget?

Considering your heavy usage, I might recommend a LCD display to avoid any potential burn-in over long term use. I do realize that burn-in is NOT a major issue with the OLED devices, but it might not hurt to just avoid it with that level of usage. That would also allow you avoid potential issues with the eye-strain and headaches that a small percentage of users experience with the OLED display.

I would also recommend choosing a device with a larger battery and, therefore, better battery life. The lower number of cycles you put the battery through, the more life than you will get out of it. The easy answer for your use case is the XR, or, alternatively, the 7+ or 8+.

Dejected

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2019
" What's your budget? "
I would pay anything for my eyes health.
Do OLED screens harm the eyes ?

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012

I don't think there would be any permanent damage, but they do flicker at quite low frequencies, which does tire the eyes, i.e. it will hurt if you use it for too long, depending on how sensitive you're to this kind of thing. Contrary to popular believe, it's not just PWM (pulse width modulation, which is used to reduce brightness). There's an additional flicker from a line that's run over the display to reduce burn in, you can actually see this when using a high speed camera.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
" What's your budget? "

Just saying, but it sounds like you have more of a medical concern with your eyes then you actually need a larger phone. Maybe address that first if you haven’t already, then consider what you think you need for a smart phone display size.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am confused on which one is better xs or xr ?

Visit Apple’s site or even, go ‘hands on’ with what phone you think is ‘better’ at a local retailer.

{In addition, there are a plethora of threads on here that will discuss the differences for you if you search a bit.}

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’ve had the X, XS Max, 8 Plus and the Xr. The 8 Plus has been the easiest on my eyes and my migraine susceptibility.

I have to agree with the comment that it is not just the pwm (pulse width modulation) on OLED displays. My Pixel 3XL display, which is an OLED display made by Samsung, is actually the best display for the comfort of my eyes that I’ve ever run across on a phone. So there’s something else going on beyond pwm that messes up some people’s vision. And remember vision encompasses not only the eyes but the brain that is tasked with interpreting what the eyes take in.

There is something about the way Apple implemented OLED to avoid burn in and perhaps reduce black crush that wreaks havoc not on the eyes, per se, but the process of signals going on between the eyes and the brain.

Reactions: timeconsumer

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
" What's your budget? "

No, some people though are sensitive to the flicker they can make, you cannot see the flicker as it’s too fast, but some people can get headaches from it. You’d have to try one to find out though.. the iPhone OLED models have HDR screens so they can make your videos look really nice, but so would an 8 Plus screen, don’t get an XR as it’s screen is a lower resolution then the 8 Plus.

Vally1945

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2019
Palm Springs, CA
You may want to invest in some blue light blocking glasses. I'm on a computer all day and started developing migraines from the exposure. Bought a pair of those glasses and the migraines started to go away. Might help.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Xr with zoomed turned on. Unfortunately though the Macrumors forums still have a very small point size for their fonts (time for a new theme guys...)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I think it’s not a text size matter
It’s an oled vs lcd
Yeah. Mostly.
But a couple of users say XR LCD also causes headache. So, I’d suggest the same 8 or 8 plus for your need if you need to use your phone 9 hours a day.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I think it’s not a text size matter
It’s an oled vs lcd

Well then, get an 8 Plus. Remember though it’s slightly bigger then the Max. I don’t like bigger size phones, but as you cannot use the zoomed screen mode on the X or XS, then I have no choice unless I get a 4.8” iPhone.
For me I find the feature really helps with text size on websites, so I have an XR and will update it or get a Max as I’m alright with OLED screens.

Dejected

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2019
well, I bought a iphone 11 and it's discomfort my eyes , fell them dry and got a headache , I couldn't find any better screen than iphone 8 for my eyes !!

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
well, I bought a iphone 11 and it's discomfort my eyes , fell them dry and got a headache , I couldn't find any better screen than iphone 8 for my eyes !!

To make iPhone 11 easier on your eyes, try several things that helped me a lot:

- Turn the True Tone on;
- Enable Reduce the White Point in Accessibility section (I have mine set to 50%);
- Under Face ID & code, turn off the Attention features for Face ID (the most likely culprit for your headaches and eye dryness).

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
What is disadvantage of attention awareness feature off ?

Somewhat lower security, as your iPhone can then be unlocked without you looking at it, even with your eyes closed.

With awareness feature on, you need to actually look at it in order to unlock. Apparently, this is when our eyes get bombarded with extra rays, potentially causing headaches for some people.

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
Unlocking without looking at it is "Attention for FaceID" function
Second is attention awareness so "TrueDepth Camera will check for attention before dimming the display or lowering the volume of alerts"

If you let "Attention for FaceID" on, you will not bombarded with extra rays :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.