Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ader42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
Hi all,

At present at home I have an old Retina iMac that is my main machine - it has a Thunderbolt Display attached as a second monitor. I also have an M1 Mac Mini on the same desk - with an ethernet cable in between them. The Mini has a ghost hdmi apapter to simulate a monitor. I’ve been successfully using Jump Desktop to show the Mac Mini desktop on either my iMac or the Thunderbolt display. This has worked fine.

I have recently ordered myself a new MBP and so began to wonder how I will integrate this into my setup.

So I bought a usb-c ghost adaptor to simulate a second monitor on the Mini. With this it appears I can have:

1) 2 separate VNC connections with Jump Desktop - one Mini display on my iMac and one on the Thunderbolt Display. This is reasonable quality (2560 x 1440 on both) - but because it is using two connections I can’t drag things between the two displays.

2) 1 single connection using Fluid that allows me to drag between the two Mini displays on the two monitors - but is poorer quality. It appears that this also requires the remote Mac Mini to be online - which isn’t ideal - so am leaning towards 1) so far.

So my question is, is there a better way of using a LAN remote desktop solution for connecting a dual monitor Mac with another dual monitor Mac?

ader42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
Okay so somehow I now have a single connection (not using Fluid) and I can drag between the two monitors where I could not before. So I have the functionality I want with the highest quality - so am happy for now - I think the “fullscreen on all displays” may have been the thing that solved my problem.

My issue is going to be when I get a 3rd Mac into the mix… my MBP - I somehow know I will want to have 3 desktops on the MBP - one on the laptop screen, one on my iMac and one on the iMac attached Thunderbolt Display…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.