Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CATinHAWAII

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
--== Hawaii ! ==--
im going to the 9ball open championships in October...

http://billiardhq.com/events/event.php?event_id=48

and i have reserved seats in the 2nd row... estimating
25 to 30 feet away,,, and in these events, there are usually
bright lights that shine down on the participants...

i have a 30D, with 10-22 lens, 18-55, and 75-300 ,,,

i know i could shoot with these lenses, but i was thinking of
24-70, but really didnt want to spend quite that much, 24-105 is
just a bit cheaper, but ...

i was also considering either a 85 1.8 or 100 2.0 (around 350-400, )

the other use that i would have would be for indoor volleyball, and as
is just high school, i could get front row, or back farther and higher up...

and in that case, faster focusing and bigger aperture would be an asset...

ok, ready for comments and suggestions...

ok, thanks.... Cat

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Being in the second row kind of cuts our options down a bit. The 85 f/1.8 would be a good bet for courtside, but will be kind of short for that distance.

The 100 might suit you better, as would a 70-200 f/4 (depending on if you can get one for your price).

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
You have most focal lengths covered (from 10-300mm). Which lens do you want to replace?

It's hard to judge without knowing your price range. The BEST lens would be the 200mm f/2L IS. $6000.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I would first suggest you check & double check that you will be allowed to take photos. Have watched many games on tv and I don't recall seeing any people with cameras.

Given how annoyed golfers are when it comes to random clicks from cameras I could see billiards/pool/snooker players getting the same way.

I checked the link you provided and didn't see anything obvious about restrictions.

CATinHAWAII

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
--== Hawaii ! ==--
You have most focal lengths covered (from 10-300mm). Which lens do you want to replace?

It's hard to judge without knowing your price range. The BEST lens would be the 200mm f/2L IS. $6000.

yeah, i didnt put my price range in there, but 6000 aint it!
i was thinking of specific for these two appications, the Billiards
and the Volleyball, i guess Billiards isnt too demanding an appication, i could
use the 75-300, just that its not a great lens...
and the Volleyball would need to be fast and small f/stop, so ...

The 200mm F2.8 L lens might be a good option at about $600..

sounds like a good idea, and within my budget, which could stretch to 1000 or so...

CATinHAWAII

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
--== Hawaii ! ==--
I would first suggest you check & double check that you will be allowed to take photos. Have watched many games on tv and I don't recall seeing any people with cameras.

Given how annoyed golfers are when it comes to random clicks from cameras I could see billiards/pool/snooker players getting the same way.

I checked the link you provided and didn't see anything obvious about restrictions.

ya know.. i didnt even think of that, the last tournament i shot just using
a point and shoot... grainy with no flash, but nobody complained,

i think i should be emailing the tournament coordinator to check , thanks
for the info....

ButtUglyJeff

macrumors 6502a
Tamron just came out with a nice 70-200mm f/2.8 for about $699. I like it alot. You could also get the Tamron Tele-Converters 1.4x and 2.0x for a little over $100 each. And voila, a quick grand spent.

It's so easy to spend a photographers hard earned money.............

p.s. - you could then sell the 75-300, because once you use this, I doubt that one will see any action.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
One thing to consider, for Billiards, is that there are plenty of opportunities to get shots where there's little to no subject movement. Lining up for a shot, etc can be done at 1/100 or 1/125 if the camera is steady.

Volleyball, on the other hand, is very very tough because of poor gym lighting. And you don't have close to as many shots where there's no subject movement.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
ya know.. i didnt even think of that, the last tournament i shot just using
a point and shoot... grainy with no flash, but nobody complained,

i think i should be emailing the tournament coordinator to check , thanks
for the info....

No problem, on the tv replays, I don't even recall seeing media types shooting, they might be there but just didn't pay enough attention.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816

CATinHAWAII

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
--== Hawaii ! ==--
getting there...

And how did he do that?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/129190-USA/Canon_2529A004_Telephoto_EF_200mm_f_2_8L.html

I would actually agree that if you're looking for a monumental leap in quality over the consumer zooms you currently have, there is little that will beat a prime. The 200 f/2.8 is among the cheapest L primes, and among the better ones (not as good as the 135 or 85, better than the 50 or 24).

im going over in my mind, that maybe the 135 or 200 is the way to go...

great clarity, fast and low light capable, dont want the biggest baddest out there, just better than ive got...
still waiting for the event coordinator to get back to me , on
whether "pro style" cameras are allowed, and under what restrictions....

anybody had any similar experience? i know concerts in Hawaii generally
do not let ANY cameras in, or some are not with removable lenses....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.