Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthony131

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2021
I've had the Satechi USB hub (with SSD) for my M2 Pro Mac Mini for a year now. I suppose it's inevitable that all these devices further diminish the wifi on the Mac mini which already has poor wifi? Regardless (I'm wired), my issue is the USB performance.

I'm looking for a USB hub that can reliably connect to all my devices and accessories and cards as I need them on the fly. This device is failing to maintain connection as new items are added.

The always-connected hardware are listed below. As I add new devices, say an iPod, to the Satechi, it fails to remain connected. I have to disconnect my DA Preamp and plug the iPod into the computer's USB-A port for the computer to sustain a connection to it. Evidently, whether it's the computer or the USB hub, two USB-A devices are not usable at once (negating the feature of three USB-A ports on the front).

I really like the form factor of the Mini-like USB hubs but I'm open to whatever works best and doesn't clutter my desk.

HARDWARE
Thunderbolt 3: BenQ Monitor
BenQ monitor: Sandisk 500gb SSD drive.
Thunderbolt 3: External 6TB GDrive.
USB-C: Satechi USB Hub
Satechi: 2.4 ghz keyboard dongle
USB-A: DA preamp output
USB-A: DA preamp power

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
I've had the Satechi USB hub (with SSD) for my M2 Pro Mac Mini for a year now. I suppose it's inevitable that all these devices further diminish the wifi on the Mac mini which already has poor wifi? Regardless (I'm wired), my issue is the USB performance.

I'm looking for a USB hub that can reliably connect to all my devices and accessories and cards as I need them on the fly. This device is failing to maintain connection as new items are added.

The always-connected hardware are listed below. As I add new devices, say an iPod, to the Satechi, it fails to remain connected. I have to disconnect my DA Preamp and plug the iPod into the computer's USB-A port for the computer to sustain a connection to it. Evidently, whether it's the computer or the USB hub, two USB-A devices are not usable at once (negating the feature of three USB-A ports on the front).

I really like the form factor of the Mini-like USB hubs but I'm open to whatever works best and doesn't clutter my desk.

HARDWARE
Thunderbolt 3: BenQ Monitor
BenQ monitor: Sandisk 500gb SSD drive.
Thunderbolt 3: External 6TB GDrive.
USB-C: Satechi USB Hub
Satechi: 2.4 ghz keyboard dongle
USB-A: DA preamp output
USB-A: DA preamp power
Poor USB performance could be the hub or the cables. The cables are also the more likely cause of RF interference.

But the problem you’re describing is that attaching a device to your hub is causing other devices to disconnect. That sounds more power related than cable related. Your hub has a certain power rating and the devices you’re attaching have their own power requirements, so you can dig in and figure out if you’re drawing too much power. You mention that you’re using a USB connection solely as preamp power, so maybe it’s power hungry; I don’t know.

Everybody’s needs are different, but I bought my Thunderbolt hub from OWC, and it’s been excellent. No complaints.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.