Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mary1111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Hi everyone,

This is my first time on this forum, so please excuse me if I am breaking any rules or such in any way.

I have a Macbook air 13" which was gifted to me in 2010 that has run its life and is starting to lose function (like keys not working, overheating etc.).

I have been saving money for 6 months now and it is my birthday this month (so I will get some money as gifts as well) - so I thought of buying myself a new laptop. My range is 1200-1500 Euros and I am looking for a second hand Macbook pro.

I make Youtube videos in my free time so I use FCP, Premier Pro, Photoshop, GIMP etc. on a regular basis. Other uses are surfing the net and watching movies.

I don't really play latest games on my laptop, except for online nostalgic games like contra and mario.

My friend wants to sell me their Macbook Pro and the following are the specifications -

-Retina 15 "machine (2016 make)
-Radeon R9 M370X video card.
-Force Touch
-Intel Quad Core i7 2.5 Ghz
-Memory RAM: 16 GB (1600 MHz)
-512 GB SSD (PCI-Express Blade flash drive)
-2x GPU: AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2GB + Intel Iris Pro 1536MB
-Keyboard: Qwerty
-Software: Mac OS X Sierra 10.12 (free upgrade to OS X High Sierra)

QUESTION 1 - Since I don't know much about buying laptops as I have never bought my own, my question is - are these specs good enough for my purposes? My major complaint with my current Macbook air is that it heats up to a really high temperature and then becomes slow and ultimately unresponsive.

QUESTION 2 - What are the best specs I can hope to score in a secondhand laptop in my range (1200-1500 Euros)?

QUESTION 3 - What is the earliest model make year I could consider buying? I want this laptop to last me a few years.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
If your friend is willing to sell a maxed out 2016 15" TB for 1200 euros, I think the best course of action is obviously to sell it to me. Please send him my contact information. I'll even pay 1250 euros to make him happy.

But anyway: For that price range, and considering your budget is limited, I would think you would be better off with a brand new laptop that will last you years to come. I believe the best options would be, in that order: 1) a new 2017 13" TB from leftover stock and 2) a new 2017 nTB, which is still and excellent machine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.